Chapter 20

November 14, 1999

I woke up and saw that Ville was not next to me, so I took is as an opportunity to take a shower. I took off my clothes and quickly got in. 

As the hot water pressed against my skin, I lathered my hair in shampoo, then conditioner, and finally, body wash on my skin. After I finished, I wrapped myself in a towel and put my hair up in a hair towel, then brushed my teeth. 

"Adette, I-OH!" Ville shouted. 

I jumped and spit out the toothpaste and chuckled. "I'm wearing a towel, it's fine."

"So, the thing is, we're going to be recording now."

"That's what I assumed you were doing."

"But, we're going to be naked."

"What? Why?"

"Because we want to. Haven't you ever wanted to be naked and record a song?"

I chuckled and rinsed off my toothbrush. "Not necessarily."

"You're missing out."

"I bet I am."

"So, just don't go downstairs."

"Wait, you all are naked?"

"Yeah."

"Okay, I'll stay up here."

"Great," He kissed me. 

"Have fun."

"Thanks."

I sighed as he left. What was I supposed to do? I blow dried my hair and laid down on the bed with only a towel wrapped around me as I looked out the window. The blinds were open and it was very cloudy outside. 

I was very lucky to be where I was. I had wonderful, wonderful boyfriend, a beautiful son, and the best family I could ever hope for. I had been through a lot and so had everyone I knew. 

But the truth was that no one-not even the happiest person in the world-had it easy. In order to be happy, something had to bring you down so that you could rise back up again. It took me a little while to learn that, but once I did, it made my life so much easier. 

Then, a flow of memories of Ashton went through my brain. 

The first one was when I first held him. There was no feeling like that in the world that could replace it. I loved him so much. 

When he took his first steps, Neil and I were there to catch him when he fell. It wasn't before long that I realized that I was crying. I needed to talk to Ashton. I got up, tied the towel around me, and called Neil. 

"Hello?" He asked. 

I sniffed. "C-Can I talk to Ashton? Even if it's for a quick second?"

"Are you alright, Adette? What's wrong?"

"I just miss Ashton so much. I don't know why, but I do."

"Maybe because you're away from him?"

"But he goes over to your house, too."

"Ashton, want to say hi to Mommy?"

"MWOMMY!" He shrieked into the phone. 

I chuckled and cried harder. "Hey, Buddy."

"You sad?"

"No, no, I'm not sad."

"Wiss you."