Chapter 87

December 14, 2004

I woke up to Corey's arm wrapped around my bare stomach. I looked down and saw that I was naked with no blanket covering us. 

My eyes widened and I shoved Corey's arm off of me. 

"What the fuck?" He opened his eyes and I stood up. 

My head hurt, so I wrapped a blanket around me and got a glass of water. 

"Holy shit!" He yelled. 

I winced. "Stop. Yelling."

"Did we-"

"Yes, we fucked."

He ran his fingers through his hair. 

"What exactly happened?" He asked. 

"I don't know."

"Oh, this is fucking great!" He struggled to put his clothes on. 

"Are you leaving?"

"Yeah, I have to."

I got my clothes on, too, and I got another sip of water. 

"I'm leaving now," He told me. 

 "O-Okay," I said. 

He sighed. "Bye, Adette."

"Bye, Corey."

As he walked out of the house, I started crying. I thought that he would have at least acknowledged what had happened. 

I slid against the counter and started singing the chorus of "Boys on the Radio" softly as I cried. 

"In your endless summer night, I'll be on the other side," I choked on my words and couldn't sing anymore. 

"Adette?" Corey asked. 

I stood up and wiped away my tears. "Yeah?"

"Why are you crying?"

"I don't know," I lied. "Why are you in here?"

"I need a ride. I don't have my car."

"How'd you drop off Angeline and Griffin, then?"

"Their babysitter picked them up."

I nodded my head slowly, and sniffed. "Let's go, then."

We got into my car and he drove to his house. He stopped at the house before his. 

"Thanks for taking me," He said. 

"You're welcome."

He unbuckled himself. "Adette?"

"What?"

He placed a hand on my cheek and softly kissed me. "Bye."

He got out of the car and I couldn't help but smile. I drove to my mom's house and took a long bath. 

Richard and Caron were getting a divorce. My mom and Till were most likely splitting up. 

The only thing that I wasn't so sure about was Corey and Scarlett, but that's when it hit me: I cheated with Corey and I knew better. I was a horrible person. I was freaking out and I was so scared that Corey would tell Scarlett. He seemed like a very trustworthy husband or significant other. Poor Scarlett. 

I hated myself so much. I was so selfish. I didn't once think about Scarlett or his kids. His kids would be devastated if they got into a divorce. 

I started sobbing. I really fucked up this time and there was nothing I could do about it. I couldn't go back in time and re-do it. But, the really twisted part about it was that if I had the opportunity to re-do it, I wouldn't have changed a thing. 

I enjoyed the sex with Corey. I enjoyed Corey and his presence. I was so attracted to him and his personality. 

He was a very nice person, but seemed like he would only get along with certain people. I didn't know him the best, so who was I to judge? 

I longed for Corey and his touch. I loved how he made me feel and everything. 

I felt sick as I realized he made Scarlett feel the same way, too. 

Christmas was coming up. Corey needed to be with his family and I needed to be with mine. 

As much as I didn't want to, I needed to stay away from Corey.