Chapter 56

September 13, 2002

"On our last appointment, I just got to know you and your family so that I would know how to communicate better with you and see who you are," I explained to my patient Grayson. "Do you know why you're here?"

"Yeah," He muttered. 

"Let me ask you this: do you want to be here?"

"No."

I sighed.  I didn't really know what was wrong with him or why he was here because his mom specifically told me that he needed to admit what happened and sort of accept the face that it did happen. I decided that I would act like his friend to get to know him better and maybe he would open up. 

"What music do you listen to?" I asked him. 

"Eminem, CKY, Green Day, and Slipknot."

"You like Slipknot?"

"I mean, yeah. Who wouldn't?"

"Their new record 'Iowa' is so good."

"It is! I try to get my friends to listen to them, but they said it's satanic."

I chuckled. "Apparently, any good music is satanic."

"My mom doesn't like me listening to 'CKY'."

"Why?"

"Camp Kill Yourself is their name."

"Yeah, that is sort of dark," I chuckled. 

"Especially since-Nevermind."

I sort of had a clue as to what he was getting at, but I wasn't going to make any assumptions. "Do you like that record?"

"What?"

"'Nevermind'?"

He scoffed. "Never. That record is so overrated."

"You mean 'Smells like Teen Spirit' is overrated."

"No. The record itself is overrated."

"Name one other song on there besides 'Come as you are' and 'In Bloom'."

"I don't even know!"

"Exactly. The record itself is not overrated, but the songs on there are."

"Whatever. I saw you at the awards."

"You did?"

"Yeah."

"I'm sorry."

"Why?"

"Well, I was basically naked."

"No you weren't. Rose McGowan was basically naked. You were covered up."

"She wasn't basically naked. Her butt and breasts were the only thing that was showing."

"Sadly."

I laughed very obnoxiously. "Jesus. Okay, so how are things with your parents?"

"What are you talking about?"

"Like, do you guys get along well? How is your communication? Things like that."

"Well, I mean, I guess we get along. I argue with them a lot and they yell at me sometimes if I'm in my room a lot."

"They yell at you because you're in your room?"

"Yeah, which is stupid because I'm just being a typical teenager. But, I don't really talk to them about things."

"Then how are you here?"