Chapter 37

December 24, 1999

"You don't have to record this," Ville told me. 

"It's his first Christmas Eve," I smiled, set the camera down so it would face all of us and I sat down in front of the Christmas tree with Ville and Ashton. 

It was always a tradition to open up one present on Christmas Eve. 

I put Ashton in my lap and Ville grabbed one of his presents we got him. Ville was trying to make a huge effort to be involved in Ashton's life. He would have one-on-one time with him, give him baths, feed him, and everything. It was really sweet and I loved him for trying. 

"Okay!" Ville gasped. "What'd you get, Ash?! What'd you get?"

"Ash?"

He looked at me. "What? Is there a problem?"

"No, I just didn't know you called him that."

"It's the first time I've called him that."

"Ash," I repeated and Ashton looked up at me, making me smile. "Open your present!"

Ville helped Ashton tear off the wrapping paper and then he handed Ashton the toy car. Ashton completely ignored it and grabbed the wrapping paper and started ripping it. With every rip, Ashton laughed hysterically. Ville looked up at me, chuckled, and ripped a piece of for Ashton making him chuckle. We both took turns ripping it and Ashton was laughing hard. 

I kissed him on the top of the head. "Ville, can you take out the car? Maybe he'll like it then."

Ville took out the car and handed it to Ashton. He took it and stuck it in his mouth. 

"No, Buddy," Ville chuckled and took it out. 

Ashton started wailing and I groaned. 

"Don't throw a fit, Ash," I told him, but that only made him cry harder. "Can one-year-olds go in time out?"

"Would it be effective?"

"No," I took the car from Ville's hand and set Ashton down beside me. He tried grabbing it, but I told him, "You don't put this in your mouth."

He screamed loudly and I gasped. Ville turned off the camera and we took Ashton upstairs to his room. He was crying hard and as soon as we shut the door, I sighed. 

"I didn't give him his goo," I told Ville. 

"Where is it?"

"Downstairs near his highchair."

"I'll get it," He rushed downstairs, grabbed it, then handed it to me. "Don't do what you normally do."

"What do you mean?" I whispered over Ashton's obnoxious cries. 

"You always comfort him and sing him a song. He has to learn to be punished."

"Okay, okay," I walked into the bedroom and Ashton immediately stopped crying. I picked him up, wrapped him in a blanket, put the goo in his mouth, and rocked him back and forth. "You can't scream, Ash. It's naughty." I looked at him and his eyes were already shut. I kissed him on the forehead and placed him in the crib, quietly walked back out and we went downstairs with our hands intertwined with each others'.

"You are a wonderful mother," He kissed me as we sat down on the couch. 

"I don't know if wonderful is the right way to describe it."

"I think it is."

I looked back at the kitchen and sighed. "Go get the bed ready, okay?"

"For what?" He smirked.