Chapter 93

May 3, 2005

"So, where are you going to stay?" I asked Corey as we drove to go pick up his kids. 

"I don't know," He replied. 

"Great conversation," I chuckled and turned on a 'Mayhem' CD (De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas). 

"How can you like this? You can't even understand what they're saying!"

"Well, the guitar work is incredible, the drums are very difficult, and the bass is good, too-can't really hear it-but the vocals are extremely difficult. Like, that takes some fucking talent."

"I bet I could do it."

"Corey, you can scream, but this is, like, guttural screaming."

"I'll do it. Watch me."

I nodded my head as we pulled up. 

"I'll be right back," He got out of the car and walked to the front door. 

I turned off the CD-Corey wouldn't want his kids listening to 'Mayhem-and got out of the car and walked a little further down the sidewalk to call Neil, but he didn't answer. I called him one more time, and that's when he answered. 

"Hello?" He asked. 

"Hi, Neil. I'll be getting Ashton soon."

"Okay."

"How is everything?"

"It's alright."

"That's good. Alright, I'll go now."

"Wait, Adette."

"Yes?"

"I'm thinking about proposing to Amelia."

"Y-You are?"

"Yeah. I just thought I should tell you because if I was you, I would want to know."

I nodded my head. "That's really exciting, Neil!"

"Thanks."

I started walking back to the car, but panicked when I saw Scarlett putting her kids in the car. 

"When are you going to do it?" I kept the conversation going. 

"Soon. I don't know when, but soon. Ashton, don't do that! What are you thinking?!"

I looked back and Corey was looking around, so I started walking back. 

"I have to go, Neil," I spoke into the phone.

"Alright."

"Hey, congratulations. I know that you're excited."

I leaned on the car a bit, trying to face away from Scarlett. 

"I mean, of course I am. I really love her, Adette."

"It seems like you're attracted to women whos names start with the letter 'A'."

"Oh, shut up."

I chuckled. "Bye, Neil."

"Bye."

I put my phone in my pocket and Corey said, "Adette, come here."

I walked over to him and Scarlett stood in front of us. 

"Scarlett, this is Adette-my girlfriend," He introduced us. "Adette, this is Scarlett."

"Hi," I said shyly, but she just stared at me. 

"So this is who you're going out with?" Scarlett asked Corey.