Chapter 86

December 13, 2004

I shook Corey awake lightly. 

He softly woke up, then rubbed his eyes. "Yeah?"

"Shh," I whispered. "I have to go into work."

"Okay."

"Are you going back to your house?"

"Fuck no. Can I just stay here until you get back?"

"Sure," I smiled. "Bye."

"Bye."

He rolled back over and I got into my car, then drove to my office. 

I got all my things together, then walked outside and saw one of my patients sitting there. 

"Hi," I waved to her dad. "Right this way."

They followed me to my office, so I shut the door behind them and had them take a seat. 

"So, Rylan, how have you been?" I asked her. 

"Fine."

"What's new?"

"I mean, nothing. Everything's the same."

"What's bothering you?"

"I can't tell you."

"Why?"

"Because it'll hurt my dad's feelings."

I motioned for her dad to leave, so he did. 

"Is everything alright?" I asked her. 

"I just don't like doing these appointment thingies with him. It's awkward."

"Okay, I understand. So, how are things with your parents?"

"They're fine."

"Things haven't been...awkward?"

"No. It's normal."

"You found out last week that you were adopted, Rylan. You're telling me that everything is normal? I mean, surely you have some anger towards them for not telling you."

"Yeah, but I shouldn't dwell on it, you know? I need to let things go."

Something wasn't right. She wasn't the type of person to let things go like that, but I was going to let it go until she wanted to tell me. 

"I've been really, really mad lately," She told me. 

"How come?"

"I just feel like everyone hates me-okay, that's an exaggeration. I just feel like my friends aren't my real friends. I feel like they were forced to be my friends. They always make fun of me."

"Have you told them that you don't like it when they make fun of you?"

"They won't care."

"But have you told them?"

"No. There's no point."

"I suggest that you tell them because obviously it's hurting you."

"Sometimes I want to-I just want to-I want to punch them. I want them to hurt."

My eyes widened. "Y-You-"

"I'm not going to punch them, though. I'd get in big trouble."

"Yeah, you would."

"And sometimes I just get really nervous. Like, I had to go in front of class to present something and then my whole body just tensed up and my stomach hurt so bad. I felt like I was going to throw up. I know what you're going to say."