If You Were Deaf

REQUESTED BY: Junko_EnoshimaUwU

A/N: In much the same vein as the 'if you were blind' chapter, this one will have a bit of a diversion from my usual storyline for Reader. Hoo boy, this took a lot of preparation.

In this one, you were taken in at a young age by Sanemi (also a young age, but not as young as you) considering you can feel vibrations through the air, just not hear. He was hesitant to take you in, but you proved adept at feeling vibrations through the air and he inevitably sent you Muichiro's way. He, of course, wanted nothing to do with you, yet eventually he capitulated and trained you in Mist Breathing. He's a little put off at the fact that you're older than him by a year or two. This means that the pillars will all be older than they are in canon, and it's safe to assume the events of the manga haven't played out here exactly as they do there.

(For Yoriichi's, it's almost the same as your original meeting (back in his catch-up chapter) except that, well, you can't hear. And he decided to train you in self-defense, so you came up with Mist Breathing on your own.)

--

Tanjiro:

The first time he met you, you were traveling with Muichiro and he was surprised when you walked right past him, ignoring his greeting. Muichiro had to explain that you were deaf, but once you realized Tanjiro was talking to you you smiled and began signing to him.

He had no idea what you were saying with your hands, so the second he could, he sought out the Sound Hashira to teach him. Once he felt confident in his ability to speak to you, he met you on the road once more - and from there, your friendship began to blossom.

Nezuko:

You first met her when blocking a blow meant for her - not knowing she wasn't human, you let out a wordless call bidding her to run.

Nezuko couldn't leave, not when there was still a foe to defeat. You both fought side by side until the battle ended, and when you turned to thank her, your expression melted into one of surprise. You took her hand in yours, examining her nails and staring into her eyes.

Nezuko, thankful that you weren't afraid, led you back to where her brother and your mentor were resting. Muichiro explained that you were deaf, and Nezuko surprised all of them with her ability to speak to you in sign.

The two of you became fast friends, bonding over your shared exasperations over how reckless your mentor and her brother could be.

Zenitsu:

When his screams fell on deaf ears (literally), he turned to you in shock as you casually plucked a senbon made of hair out of your cheek. You'd just taken a blow meant for him - yet you didn't make a sound. He couldn't help but watch as you finished the battle before collapsing against a tree, a huff escaping you.

He ends up using his meager supplies to patch you up and somehow convinces you to join the team. Though you can't hear him - and he has no idea how to sign - he eventually grows to understand you through gestures and expressions.

Inosuke:

The fact that you didn't pay him attention at all when his temper flared was what originally pissed him off about you. Did you think you were too good to interact with him or something? But as he made his way towards you, Tanjiro intercepted and explained that you were deaf.