Chapter 1

"Has anybody seen, Eve?" Lori looked to no one in particular for an answer.

I tapped her on the shoulder and she whirled around, nearly smacking me in the face with her long dark brown locks.

"Jesus, you scared me." Calming down with a hand on her chest, she gave me a mildly amused, tired look.

I smiled apologetically and awaited her reason for needing me.

"Will you go find Amy? She's been gone for awhile now."

Stiffening straight up, I saluted Lori as if she were a general issuing orders.

Chuckling, Lori shook her head at me and I stuffily marched for the forest; Refusing to let any giggles or headshakes make me break character, until I reached the tree line and sped up to a light jog to go fulfill my mother-given mission.

-

Silently trekking through the forest searching for sunshine blonde isn't as easy as it sounds. Thankfully Amy's easy to spot at a distance. I'm still at odds on whether or not that's a good thing.

It wasn't long before I found her picking what looks like mushrooms.

Coming up behind her, I tapped her on the shoulder and she hadn't even turned halfway before her mouth opened. Foreseeing her scream, I lunged forward, clapping my hand over her mouth.

I smiled and she scowled at me. A look I'm not unaccustomed to receiving. Removing my hand, that scowl was replaced with a polite smile.

"Time to go back?"

I nodded and held my hand out to her. Accepting my hand, Amy pulled herself to her feet, bringing a red bucket of mushrooms with her.

A small glint in the trees caught my vision and my gaze fixed on it, trying to figure out what it was. It's moving, so it's alive...in a manner of speaking.

"Are you coming?" I glanced at Amy over my shoulder, shaking my head. I returned my narrowing eyes to my object of interest.

"Okay, well...see you back at camp." I listened to leaves crunching as she made her way off.

As soon as the glint started moving, I walked towards it until I'd caught up and discovered it was humanoid.

A person? Walker's more likely but I've never seen one up here before.

I crept closer, sliding a knife out of my leg strap. Keeping nimble and silent, I came up behind it.

When I saw the crossbow, I suppressed a sigh.

Relaxing, I lowered my knife and tapped the man's shoulder.

Daryl swung around, crossbow first. I barely stopped the heavy weaponry with my hand before he hit me in the stomach with it.

He glowered at me and lowered his prized hunting instrument.

"How the Hell do ya do that?" his usual bitter tone never ceases to amaze. At least his volume is lower when hunting.

These Dixon's...They're both so loudmouthed. So much to say and so many colorful words to say it.

Movement over his shoulder caught my attention and a smile pulled across my lips.

"What're you smilin' at?"

Geez, is it a crime to smile?

I put my hand on his shoulder and he flinched but let me turn him around. I pointed through the trees to a deer, minding its own business less than 20 yards from us.