Chapter 95

Did you guys enjoy the spooky special? 😁Didn't expect that to drop Halloween day did you?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Making their way back through a mile of dense forest in the dark, lurking with things that shouldn't be moving — much less biting — is not exactly easy.

Daryl's mind however is consumed with only one thing, in this environment where he's actually comfortable; even in the dark.

He's getting Eve to Hershel and getting his hands on Shane.

The four of them move quietly, being cautious, but slow. Too slow.

Rick is still out there with Shane. And if he tried to kill Eve of all people... the Sheriff's deputy very well could be next.

Daryl went back to helping Eve, so Glenn could help Randall.

Of course it isn't because standing even 6 feet in front of the swamp-monster felt too far and pressed all the wrong buttons.

It's so they can pick up the pace.

Eve grunted and Daryl shifted his grip to support her a little more.

When they reached the property line, Eve tapped Daryl's shoulder and pulled back a little.

Daryl was reluctant to let her but she needed to walk on her own. At least up to the house.

A gunshot rang out, shattering the silence over the farm and all four of their heads whipped to the side.

"Do you think that's them?" Glenn asked, trying to lean around Randall's head to look as if he'd be able to magically see the source of alarm.

"Let's get back to the house." Daryl let Eve walk on her own, making sure his crossbow was ready in his hands instead but kept close to her. Closer than normal, and made sure she was in front of him.

Eve took her knife back from Randall without a word or fight. He was all too happy to hand it over to the blade wielder and the four hustled up the property back to the house.

As soon as they reached the porch, Daryl took the steps two at a time and got the door while Eve stood at the bottom, looking out into the darkness; hoping to see something with the aid of the full moon's light but nothing moved. Not even the wind through the trees.

Daryl whistled at her from the top of the steps as Glenn & Randall made it to the top of the steps.

Eve turned around and went to take the stairs fast, like she's used to but as soon as she lifted her foot that plan 86'd itself and she took the stairs slower than normal.

It's easier to breathe now but everything aches. Everything.

There's not one part of her body that does not hate her for everything she's worth. Entirely because of all the things she's put it through over the last two weeks.

After this, no more. She has to let herself heal completely. But not until after this is over. Until after the threat's been eliminated.

"Rick and Shane ain't back? We heard a shot." Daryl asked the moment they filed into the house. Him then Glenn

"Maybe they found Randall." Lori offered.

"We found 'im. He was with Eve." Daryl answered.

Just as she opened her mouth to question why on Earth Randall and Eve would be together, the aforementioned two came in behind Glenn and Daryl.