Chapter 73

I rubbed my nose on the back of my hand, sniffling. It's getting colder. That's gonna be a problem soon.

I don't know exactly what time of year it is, but it's gotta be mid to late Fall by now.

Last year it started snowing in October. If this year is the same, we don't have a lot a time before winter decides to drop in for the holidays. Call me crazy but I don't think flimsy fabric tents will protect us against a snowstorm.

We're either gonna have to work something out with Hershel, or move on; find somewhere to hole up from the cold.

We're gonna need warmer clothes, winter boots, plenty of fuel, stock up on food like we're going into hibernation.

I moved along behind Daryl, but we've been hunting for almost 4 hours now and haven't found anything but more walkers, squirrels (cue shutter), and the highway we were stranded on not too long ago.

Daryl stopped in the middle of the street, looking in both empty directions. Only thing I can see is the carjam we got stuck in before.

I scratched my head, sharing a look with him. This was a waste of time. A nice idea, but ultimately we've just wasted our time.

Only game we've got are those furry vomit peels and I think I'd rather eat my own shoe.

It took me a minute to notice Daryl was staring at the cars, but only because I was looking at them the exact same way.

I clenched my teeth, swallowing hard. I couldn't take looking at them anymore, so I moved my gaze to the street. A rusty penny staring back up at me.

We thought the kids were safe with all of us around, but the truth is, they're not any safer than we are. Our chances of survival are all the same— have been from the start.

The odds are stacked against every single person left on this —literally— Godforsaken rock.

We're stronger together. That much has proven true, but it doesn't mean we're invincible. If the group continues to divide, we're all gonna end up breaking into smaller and smaller groups. What happens then? How many of us will make it?

I know Daryl and I —if I were to go with him— would probably be alright, for awhile at least. But what about the rest?

Most of the adults can handle themselves well enough, but what about Carol? I don't think she even knows how to shoot a moving target. What about Glenn? Would he stick with the Greene's? If we went our separate ways, would I ever see him again?

"Come on. Let's head back. Ain't nothin' out 'ere." Daryl moved past me and I followed in silence.

It took us about half an hour to get back, we got lucky and found a little more game on our way. The tense silence we'd left the road in, faded but the guilt pooling in my gut only grew as we made it back to camp and began skinning and prepping what we'd hauled.

The rest of the day went by in a blur and before I knew it, I'd spent all day with Daryl at his secluded campsite.

Not even the gross smell of cooking squirrel on the fire stirred me.

I can't stop. I can't stop thinking about what Rick and I worked out. My head is spinning listing all the reasons why I shouldn't stay in the group, and half of them are precisely why I have to.

I put my head in my hands, sliding clawed fingers through my hair.

Daryl's POV

I glanced at Eve, half expecting her to have that disgusted look on her face. But she didn't, and that made me tense.

She's been quiet all day. Not her usual quiet —this is just, vacant.