Chapter 25

I walked at the back of the group, keeping a look out behind us while Daryl lead the way at the front and Glenn, Lori, Andrea, and Carol trudged between us.

I don't know— scratch that, I know exactly why I feel like a school teacher babysitting a bunch of kids on a field trip.

"So this is it?" Carol sat down on the log in front of me, making me stop suddenly before I ran into her. "This the whole plan?"

"Guess the plan is to whittle us down into smaller and smaller groups." Daryl leaned against a tree, while everyone stopped to catch their breath.

"Carrying knives and pointy sticks" Andrea interjected before her gaze shifted to Lori. Oh no

"I see you have a gun."

"Why, you want it?" Lori looked up at her. I watched Lori extend the gun out to Andrea.

"Here, take it. I'm sick of the looks you're giving me."

I'm not sure if she's actually giving it, or daring her to take it. Although it really looks like both. Andrea's mouth was gaping like a fish but she took the gun with a huff because Lori had called her out.

"All of you" Lori sat down on the log, pulling her water bottle out from her backpack.

I haven't been throwing dirty looks, I haven't been looking at any of you.

I thought we were supposed to be keeping our eyes out for Sophia, and signs that someone's been through here. That's what we're doing out here in the first place.

Am I the only one who's actually been looking!?

What the actual Hell!?!

"Honey, I can't imagine what you're going through and I would do anything to stop it, but you have gotta stop blaming Rick. It is in your face every time you look at him."

Carol looked at Lori before looking down at her shoes.

"And when Sophia ran, he didn't hesitate did he? Not for a second. I don't know that any of us would have gone after her the way he did." Lori looked at Daryl, "Or made the hard decisions that he had to make, or that anybody could have done it any differently."

Selfish sons a bitches—

"Anybody?" Lori looked around but when she looked at me I put my hands up. I'm not gettin' involved in this BS.

I came out here to find a little girl, not babysit and watch cranky "adults" bitch & whine like spoiled brats.

I walked past Glenn, just so done with all these people's shit, and Daryl threw me a questioning look.

I took off my backpack and dropped it near the base of the tree. Pointing to my eyes then up, I jumped, hooking my hands on a thick low branch. He nodded, glancing up.

I swung my legs similar to a gymnast and pulled myself up. Being careful where I grabbed, I scaled the tree until I was high enough to get a bird's eye view but low enough to be under the canopy of tree tops.

I didn't hear the rest of the conversation below but a minute or so later, Daryl whistled and I looked down to see we were about to move on.

I pointed in the direction we needed to go and Daryl glanced over their before nodding, motioning for me to come down, and leading the group from there while I climbed down.

I was halfway down the tree when a gunshot startled me and my foot missed the branch.

My heart stopped for a split second as my side smashed into the branch full force and the branch I'd been holding onto broke under the sudden weight.