Chapter 10

The two of us wandered out of the trees behind Rick and Shane, to the central campfire where everyone was gathered, listening to the plan.

"I've known this man a long time. I trust his instincts." Shane glanced over his shoulder from his crouched position and waited until the two of us stood off to his right to continue.

"I say the most important thing here, is that we need to stay together. So those of you that agree, we leave first thing in the morning. Okay?"

Leaving? Wait, what? Where are we going?

I glanced at Daryl for clarification as everyone began to disperse and go about their business, and he shook his head.

"If you wanna know this stuff, maybe you shouldn't wander off so much." We'll see how well that goes. "We're goin' to the CDC."

Okay...I get why that's a logical move, but Rick can't possibly think we're the only people who thought of that.

What do we do if it's gone? Or occupied -by the dead or otherwise. What then?

I noticed Daryl walking off, motioning for me to follow and watched him grab his crossbow.

"It's late, but we could probably still catch somethin' before sun goes down."

Nodding, I went to my tent and grabbed my night vision goggles. Just in case. I came out and Daryl was waiting by the forest edge for me but as soon as he turned to go Rick called out behind us.

"Eve"

I turned, giving him my attention as he came over.

"I understand you have night vision goggles" I held them up and he nodded.

"Would you mind taking watch tonight? Everyone's still a little freaked out about...I think they'd feel safer knowing you're on watch."

I nodded and Daryl spoke up, "We're goin' huntin' first. Should be back before dark."

Rick nodded and finally let us head off, going back to his family himself.

-

Why would anyone feel safer with me on watch over someone else?

My shoe kicked a rock, clacking it into another and I flinched; startled by my own lapse in silence. Even if it was small, it's still more noise than I'm used to making.

Daryl stopped and looked at me, snapping a twig of his own under his boot. Almost like he forgot I was still here—...he might have actually. Wouldn't be the first time, and I doubt it'll be the last.

Don't ask me why but it's unnerving both of us making noise on a hunt. Even if we're only headed back to camp. I don't think anyone 'cept Daryl's gonna wanna eat that skunk though. I know I don't.

Leaves crunched underneath my boots and Daryl glanced at me again, this time looking around to make sure we weren't unwittingly bringing something back with us.

Moving quietly in the woods is a lot harder than in a city, and I keep forgetting that just because we're near camp, doesn't mean I should relax.

Anything could happen while we're gone. Hell just the other day camp got overrun and... we lost a lot of people.

And if I step on another twig, I might get stabbed. He's a lot jumpier than he was earlier. He couldn't have seen something I didn't, could he?

I glanced around, scanning the trees behind us. Either I'm losing my edge, or there's nothing behind us. It's possible he saw it earlier, when we were deeper, or it could be paranoia.