Chapter 78

When Rick & Shane finally came back, it was late.

They were bloody, exhausted, and Randall still in the car; duct taped in the trunk.

Seems my persistent bad feeling wasn't misplaced afterall.

Rick got out of the car looking like all he wants to do is drift back into his coma.

He looked at me and Daryl, while I glanced through the back windshield at the kid. I can't tell if he's asleep or not.

"Get him back into the shed."

Daryl & I nodded simultaneously, and I opened the trunk for Daryl to pull Randall from the vehicle; after cutting the duct tape on his legs of course.

I slammed the trunk, and a whistle had me turning. I caught the flashlight T-Dog tossed, nodding in thanks, and let Daryl handle Randall while I lit the way back to his...unfortunate dwelling.

I don't like doing this to the kid but I can't deny he's a danger. For now this is the only viable option we've got, and it's better than being dead.

I hope he can hold on.

I handcuffed him inside again and Daryl stalked out right away, heading back up to the house.

I went to follow him but as I was closing the door, a bottle near the door caught my attention.

It's one of ours.

I picked up the plastic water bottle. It's still half full.

I glanced at Daryl's back. He hasn't noticed I'm not following yet.

I chewed my lip for a moment before slipping back inside.

I unscrewed the cap and crouched in front of the kid, holding the bottle up.

He looked back and forth between me and the bottle. I sighed, taking a small sip before holding it back up to his mouth and used my eyebrows more than anything to tell him to drink it.

I can't say when the next time he'll get a drink will be, but at least this will help.

I waited until he'd chugged the whole thing but I heard boots then, "Eve! Let's go! What are you doin'?"

I fled the shed, seeing Daryl coming back and I hid the water bottle behind my back, subtly dropping it back where I found it.

"What were ya doin'?" he glanced at the shed door.

I put on a sheepish smile as I held up the padlock for the door and motioned to the shed.

"You left the lock inside"

I locked the chain and scratched my neck.

He watched me with skeptical eyes but I motioned at the house and started walking. I watched him give one more lingering glance at the shed before moving to catch up with me.

Don't ask me why I felt the need to hide the fact I gave the kid some water but this whole situation has already gotten so much more complicated than it needs to be, I don't want to trudge up any more antimosty over the stupidest things.

I don't think Daryl would care now that I think about it but still. I guess some part of me just doesn't wanna risk another fight. And it's not like it'll hurt anyone keeping this to myself.

When we got back up to the house, Glenn filled us in on what we'd missed.

According to Rick, this whole thing blew up in their faces the minute they left the kid in a school parking lot.

I didn't think there was a school other than the high school within 18 miles of this farm, and I thought we agreed over the week that they'd take him 18 miles out and leave him, but knowing Rick, that plan may have changed while they were on the road.