Chapter 104

Eve's POV

My body is heavier than plutonium right now but I feel light as feather being back with my group. My partner.

I have to be one of the luckiest people to ever exist. Even though just breathing feels like being in labor right now.

I don't know how long passed, time is kind of going in and out in bubbles of awareness but I know I drank at least half another water bottle that was put to my lips and as soon as Daryl (I assume) laid me down in the car, I was out like sand in the tide.

-

A deep breath inflated my aching lungs, pushing on my sore ribs as the glue seeming to hold my eyelids shut, began to crack.

I don't wanna get up. It's cold.

But that's exactly why I'm awake.

The more I wake up, the colder it gets. Or rather, the more aware of it I become.

I tried to pull my jacket around myself tighter but the intense dull aching in every atom of my being, is making my entire body pulse; all the way down to my bones.

The only part of my body that doesn't hurt is the half I know I slept on, and it's tingling like a wasp's nest.

Peeling my eyes open to the world around me, I blinked harshly; trying to rid myself of the haze of sleep but no matter how hard I try, it's holding on tighter than a scared toddler.

However, not even that can keep the realization that I'm alone, at bay.

Panic struck through me as I looked around, not recognizing the interior of the car.

I pressed my hand into the backseat my face is squished against and pushed myself to sit up, wheezing as I grappled with the seat and my own pain receptors to get up.

My hand smacked the door handle, pulling on it to get myself the rest of the way up and I barely remembered to look around before all but kicking it open.

My boot hit the ground and I nearly collapsed, saved only by my hands grabbing the top of the car door out of pure instinct.

"Whoa whoa whoa, ey" an arm wrapped my back and I jumped, almost clobbering Daryl around the head (if my arms were up for cooperating at the moment, he'd have a bloody nose already).

"The Hell do ya think yer doin'? You shouldn't even be awake yet, Sunshine." Daryl scolded me as Glenn came around the car from the circle the group seems to be standing in, in the middle of the road.

"Put that grown child back to bed."

I deadpanned at T-Dog.

"Don' give me that look." he pointed at me. "You're lucky you ain't sleepin' with the fishes after what you pulled."

"I don't go for merfolk." I mumbled, and immediately regret it. My throat feels like the sahara and sounds like I've been smoking for 1000 years.

Glenn choked and Randall next to him snorted so hard I felt it from here.

I flinched as Daryl squeezed my side a little too hard. "If you got the energy to make stupid jokes, you should be layin' down."

"I don't wanna lay down." I mumbled like a dejected little kid, voice much softer .

"She gets weird when she's tired." Beth almost smiled but looks like she's too stressed.

Everyone looks stressed.