Chapter 172

Eve quietly and swiftly got into position with the others.

Her stomach twisted, hearing sick minded strangers of this god forsaken town cheer and shout while Daryl and Merle fought each other inside a circle of walkers.

Eve set her gun up and peered through the scope at the back of Merle's head and her eyebrows lifted in surprise watching Merle pull Daryl onto his feet.

In a flash they were back to back, facing the walkers instead of each other.

They didn't have to last long though, Maggie and Eve's guns clicked and almost simultaneously shots rang out like thunder and two walkers dropped dead where they stood and startled screams split the air.

Rick threw the last of their smoke grenades, while they aimed for the electric lights and as soon as the grenades sparked panic ensued.

As soon as the lights started going out, the crowd scattered in every direction, like bugs from poison.

Eve inwardly smiled and grabbed the flashlight from her hip. The more chaos there is, the better this'll work.

The flashlight clicked and shone brightly into the fog, casting a single point of light into the circle and just as planned, the panicked confused people of Woodbury ran for it in a blind stampede.

Strangers flooded towards them and ran past like a herd of deer, streaming out of their makeshift auditorium.

As soon as Eve sighted Daryl near the middle of the fog, she pressed her teeth to her lips and whistled their personal calls, the one that alerts him that it's her.

Without even thinking, Daryl ran. He didn't make it five steps before he heard the telltale sound of his crossbow and saw the man holding it as one of the walkers from the circle dropped in front of him.

Daryl grabbed it right out of his hands without slowing as both Dixon's ran right around him like a stationary pole.

Merle followed Daryl naturally as his younger brother shouted, "Let's go!"

"Daryl." Rick greeted and simultaneously let the team know that they've got what they came for.

"Let's go. Go." Daryl ran right past them, right into step with Eve as she led their escape.

The group ran with the fleeing crowd, disguising themselves among the panic and nobody paid so much as a smidge of attention as they broke off from the main stream and headed straight for the area they escaped from before.

"They're all at the arena. This way." Merle suddenly took the lead and went straight for the makeshift metal-shutter wall.

"You're not going anywhere with us." Rick seethed over his shoulder, sparing only a glance at the distasteful man as he monitored the deserted road, in case the people of Woodbury catch up with them.

"You really wanna do this now?" Merle snapped, and unfortunately Eve has the misfortune of having to agree. This is not the time for this.

Without hesitation Merle bashed the wall open, as if knowing the precise spot where it was weakest and would give out with only two direct hits from that metal arm of his.

Merle forced the wall open through a feat of pure strength and stumbled through to the outside.

"Rick, come on. We've gotta go." Daryl tapped his back the second the panel was open and grabbed Eve's arm, making her go through first.

Rick glanced over his shoulder again and made eye contact with Maggie. "Go"

Maggie grabbed Randall and stuffed him through next, Rick right behind them.