Chapter 171

3rd Person POV

"Here, here." Rick motioned as the four of them moved past a small collection of thick trees beside what looks like more storage spaces, a few big containers scattered around this little area right before the last wall they need to get over, only this one is guarded.

"Get down." Rick motioned quietly and everyone ducked behind the frame of a car that looks like it hasn't moved in a long time.

Glenn coughed and grunted in pain on the ground, his fists clenching the grass while the rest of his body tried to see if it could ache itself to death.

Eve felt sympathy for him. She knows exactly what that feels like. You never get used to it. If it happens often enough though, your pain tolerance goes up and you get a better sense for what will actually kill you.

"Come on, Daryl." Rick muttered under his breath, praying Daryl worked a miracle and is just catching up.

A rustle behind them had everyone's heads turning, a spark of hope igniting in an instant and immediately fanned into flames of anger when the woman — Michonne — they brought Rick along to find these 3 scooted out from underneath the lifted storage container behind them. Blood ran down her face from an open-wound on her forehead and could barely stand even with the help of the container.

Rick aimed his gun at her in a heartbeat. "Where were you?"

Her eyes widened, quite startled at the angry reception.

"Turn around. Turn around."

She did as told, with her hands half up and Rick took her sword. And the knife belt she was carrying, which just so happens to belong to a certain pissed off shadowy ninja behind him.

"Where did you get these?" Rick demanded as he passed them to their rightful owner, hearing the breath of relief over his shoulder as the weight disappeared from his hand and within moments she was doing up the straps and checking them for any damage.

Michonne didn't answer and Rick lowered his weapon, looking at her in the most condescending way, and in a matching tone, "Get what you came for?"

"Where are the rest of your people?" Michonne took the opportunity to notice that there's a few people missing. Unintentionally answering with the dejection of her tone that no, she did not manage to do what she came to. If she had, they could all sleep easy and move on without having to worry about the Governor ever again.

"They got Oscar." Glenn answered, aiming at her like it was Michonne's fault.

"Daryl's missing, you didn't see him?" Maggie jumped in, her eyes still wide with fear and high alert.

"If anything happens to him I will—"

"I brought you here to save them." Michonne cut Rick off, reminding him of the exact terms of their deal. She was their guide here, nothing more and she did her part.

"Thanks for the help." Rick replied genuinely, accepting that it's not her fault, he's just looking for someone to blame — someone he can get to easily. But in truth there's only one who they need to settle this score against.

"You'll need help, to get them back to the prison or to go back in there for Daryl. Either way, you need me." Michonne's voice betrayed her desperation but she didn't attempt to hide it either. She's banged up bad, almost as bad as Glenn.

Rick looked to Eve because truthfully he's not the one who has final say right now and he's aware of that fact. In a way it actually takes some of the pressure off, not being the one always making the call; like sharing a burden.