Chapter 14

"What's the point?" Andrea started as Jenner pulled the needle out of her arm. "If we were infected we'd all be running a fever."

"I've already broken every rule in the book letting you in here. Let me atleast be thorough." Jenner replied.

"All done." he put a tiny bit of gauze on her arm. Andrea stood up and staggered but Jacqui was quick to steady her.

"You okay?" Jenner looked at her with concern.

"She hasn't eaten in days. None of us have." Jacqui explained, as she helped Andrea sit.

Jenner motioned at me and I looked at Jacqui, having hoped I could go last but no such luck.

I reluctantly got up and sat down, stiffly rolling my sleeve up. Jenner stared at my arm for a second and I grit my teeth. He motioned for me to give him my arm but I hesitated a second too long.

"You afraid of needles?" he asked. I stayed stiff without answering but that was answer enough.

"Don't worry. It'll only be a slight pinch."

Yeah right. Like that makes it better. That's what every doctor says.

Extending my arm as slow as I could get away with, I tried not to shake.

I bit my tongue and tried not to flinch or grimace as he pushed that foul sharp rod into my skin; extracting the viscous red liquid keeping me alive.

"See? That wasn't so bad."

For you!

As soon as he pulled it out, I shot out of the seat and retreated several feet from the table.

I hate to admit it but needles transfix me, and where I found myself standing could, could, be construed as hiding behind Daryl.

Dead people I can deal with, but needles— needles underground— Hell no.

-

Laughter filled the room. The majority of the group sat around a table, filling their stomachs with food and wine.

"You know in Italy. Children have a little bit of wine with dinner, and in France." Dale educated those who could still pay attention.

"Well, when Carl is in Italy or France, he can have some then." Lori kept her hand over Carl's cup.

"Come on, what's it gonna hurt?" Rick looked at her.

Lori stared at him for a second; having one of the same mental conversations Daryl & I have, before she took her hand off Carl's glass with an amused smile.

Bouts of laughter and hoots boomed through the room; drunken glasses were raised as Dale poured a miniscule amount of red liquid into the plastic cup before the boy.

Carl took the glass and eagerly sipped, while the rest of us waited for the ball to drop.

The look on his face when he tasted it— Priceless. And the room erupted with laughter again.

God I can't remember the last time we all laughed like this. I could get used to this.

"Stick to soda pop there, bud." Shane don't be a party pooper.

"Not you Glenn." Daryl commanded and I looked at Glenn, to my left.

"Whaa?" Glenn set down the bottle of wine he'd been turning over in his hands for the past 20 minutes.

"Keep drinkin, little man. I wanna see how red yer face can get."

Boisterous laughter exploded around the room for the tenth time tonight and I chuckled, downing the rest of my glass just as a light sound of cutlery clinking against glass captured the room's attention.

"It seems to me; we haven't thanked our host properly." Rick stood, raising his glass.

"He is more than just our host." T-Dog corrected, raising his swaying glass.

I raised my empty glass and Daryl grabbed my hand, steadying it as he poured me another drink.

A part of my skull -that wasn't buzzing- told me it was time to quit but the red liquid was just so tempting and it would be a shame —not to mention rude— to let it go to waste.

Besides, we— we deserve a little break. Who knows when it'll happen again.

"Do you ever talk?" an intoxicated T-Dog peered at me from behind his glass on the other side of the room. I smiled and gave a frivolous nod.

"Say somethin then"

I shook my head vigorously, still smiling like an idiot.

"She ain't a dog. She don't speak on command." Whoa, even Daryl's a little tipsy I see. Actually I don't, everything is starting to sway, like those mirrors you find at carnivals.

"That's right" I agreed, drunkenly. I tried to keep myself sitting up straight but failed. I let myself get a little too far and fell off the counter I was sitting on.

Seconds later, the entire room burst out laughing again. My own among them.

I laid there on the ground, not willing to pull myself up. I -remarkably- didn't spill my wine so why bother?

The next thing I knew, the party had all but died and I realized there was a serious conversation going on.

"When the military cordon got over run, the rest bolted." Jenner's eyes were fixed on Shane. Wait what are we talking about?

"Every last one?" You really nail that condescending tone, Shane, don't you?

"No." Jenner stated. "Many couldn't face walking out the door. They...opted out. There was a rash of suicides."

The room went quiet, only the sounds of rough swallows and sips.

"That was a bad time." Jenner stared down in remorse.

"You didn't leave." Andrea prompted him to continue.

"I just kept working. Hoping...to do some, good." Bull—shit. You're a crap liar, Jenner.

A long uncomfortable silence passed before Glenn walked near me, almost stepping on me.

"Dude, you're such a buzz kill..."

"...I want pancakes, with little whipped cream faces" Oops. I didn't mean to say that out loud.

Jenner smiled along with a few others before he stood up. "I'll show you where you'll be staying."

Chairs scraped against the floor as everyone started getting up, and Daryl appeared above me.

"Need help?"

I shook my head and tried to sit up but it took more effort than usual. Plus I don't wanna spill my glass. It's precious. I snuggled the glass stem, staring at the red nectar swirling around. I could've sworn there was more in here before.

"Did you, drink...my wine?" I looked up at Daryl.

"Never thought I'd see you this hammered." Daryl took my glass and set it on the table, despite my grabbing motion to give it back. He grabbed my wrists and pulled me up to my feet but I could barely stay there.

Daryl seemed to have no trouble finding great amusement at my expense. The jerk kept laughing every few seconds as I tried to keep my balance.

"Isss not funny." I finally snapped, but it came out more whiny and frustrated than planned and I felt my face twist into a grimace at the sound.

"You wish" Daryl snorted, taking my arm and pulling it over his shoulders. His arm wrapped behind me, which I stupidly tried to watch until my neck protested(humans don't bend that way) and my gaze turned forward again. At least I think— hope, hope that's forward.

I should have listened to that little voice telling me I've had enough when it did.