Chapter 127

Even though the sky is still caked in clouds, it's definitely morning by now. The rain has let up quite a bit too.

Technically I should've woken the others by now, but they all looked so haggard yesterday I don't want to.

It's been a stressful time, everyone is still tense and frustrated with each other. So the more they can sleep the better.

We don't know when the chance to get a good night's sleep will come again. And we need everyone to play as nice as they can manage right now. That means no tired cranky asses fanning embers that are finally going out.

I don't even wanna know what Lori & Carl sleeping separately from Rick is gonna start when they all wake up.

Good sleep should be at the top of our priority lists anyway.

We won't last long if we're all sleep deprived, stumbling around like walkers.

I sighed, dropping the pencil in hand onto the already well-used notebook.

My forehead hit the page with a soft 'thump' as I groaned before freezing. I probably shouldn't make the same sounds as flesh eating monsters while everyone's asleep.

I rolled to the side, my cheek smushed my eye shut as the calming aroma of paper drifted through into my nasal cavity.

'I'm getting way too ahead of myself.' I watched the rain fall against the window, petering itself out as it has been for the last hour.

I rolled my noggin' up onto my chin, smashing into an unintentional grumpy face. My eyes traced over all the work I've done. The notebook and all these ideas, lists, even a list of things I haven't had time to think about yet.

They're good ideas, and the lists are already helping a lot. Just to relieve the clutter in my brain case that's been knocking around for weeks.

I can't help it. I like to have a plan and a back up plan. Preferably more than just one or two of each but that starts to get unrealistic after 3 or 4.

But I know I'm thinking way beyond our capabilities at present. Hardly anything from the last hour of this, is actually doable right now.

Not on the road — not transport friendly. At least not with what we've got. If we had another heavy-duty truck, like I'm positive we need now, we could but without something like that, it's just not gonna happen any time soon.

I took a deep breath, sitting up while I scrubbed my hands over my face. My palms are a lot rougher than they used to be, it's almost painful when they drag over my cheeks.

There's still a few tinsy tiny little scabs here & there from one thing or another. The kind you can pick off no worries because there's nothing to heal anymore; your body just hasn't shed the crusted brown clots yet.

'I should get some gloves.' I picked at the little marks, most of these I can just scratch off with my fingernails.

A mental sigh range through my head (that sounds vaguely like Rick when he's 110% done with everything; not sure why, and not gonna look too closely at it) 'Add it to the list.'

I picked my book scribbler back up and flipped over to the page I've been writing that akins to basically a bloody grocery list and went to the next open line (which is two from the bottom now) and wrote 'Gloves' under 'toothbrushes' and 'bar soap'.

Another thought struck me — seriously what is my brain right now? A lightning rod? — as I hit my boot on the chair leg in an attempt to reposition my foot and I glanced over at Carl's feet.