Chapter 163

Warning, I have family in town, I'm really sick, and I wrote the whole thing on my Chromebook today instead of my laptop, so the writing might be a little rough this chp.

Daryl froze.

All that relief he was feeling just moments before immediately recoiled and felt like he'd been punched in the gut. An overwhelming nausea struck him like a lightning bolt but he didn't move a muscle. He couldn't. He was utterly frozen, like he was face to face with a tiger and if he so much as breathed, it would realize it's hungry and he looks like lunch.

Eve couldn't control the flood of emotion that whirled through her like a blender, mixing and contradicting with just 3 little words, but the one that dominated all the rest was absolute terror.

Not real-life horror movie terror, it was complete petrifaction I-don't-know-what-to-do terror.

Her entire face radiated enough heat you could grill a steak to perfection on it, and the smile that slowly crawled across her face put the sun to shame.

She was overwhelmed by 2 dominating polar opposites of emotion and it crashed her whole brain like the blue screen of death.

Halfway through a mad scramble to get her thoughts together, two of them collided and what came out of her mouth was, "I love me too."

The second it left her mouth, her smile dropped like an egg from the top of a skyscraper and she's never wanted to die on the spot in her entire life more than she does right this second.

"No ah— I meant— you — I-I love you... Too."

'Someone kill me.' Eve chased away a whimper of pure embarrassed frustration that wanted to escape her throat so badly, and grit her teeth to keep herself from making it worse.

She's never felt more mortified than right now. She had to choose now to not be able to speak English. This had to be the thing she had a knee-jerk reaction to instead of just — why couldn't she just have been stunned for a second and then said it back properly, like you're supposed to?

Her thoughts were cut off as soon as she glanced at him and her eyes fixed on the tips of his red ears, and then finally looked at his face.

Daryl pressed his lips together so tightly they were turning white and he still failed to hide the smile that was desperately trying to pull his mouth apart. Even if he had managed to, one look at his eyes would've given everything away in a heartbeat.

He hadn't planned to say it himself, Hell it hadn't even crossed his mind until the exact moment it left his mouth.

When she said it back though, he didn't think this kind of 'thrill' actually existed. He thought it was made up by writers and shit to make romance stories more dramatic.