Chapter 145

3rd Person POV

"Hey Carol, have you seen Carl?" Lori walked into the kitchen.

Carol thought for a second before shaking her head. "No I haven't. I haven't seen a lot of people actually."

"Where'd everybody go?" Lori didn't really expect an answer, but Hershel chuckled from the table.

"Don't worry, honey. Eve, Daryl, and Glenn took the kids out."

Lori blinked. "What do you mean took them out? Took them where?"

"No need to fret. It's just to the houses around us. Rick okayed it." he turned the page in his book. The one he borrowed from Eve last night. It's a damn fine read, she has good taste.

Lori is still uneasy but she trusts Eve and Daryl. They've also got the devil's luck duo (Eve & Glenn) with them, everything will be fine.

Everyone went about their business, doing laundry, cleaning things, looking at their stock of supplies, taking some time to just be by themselves for awhile because they don't get nearly as much of that as they'd like, and just generally trying not to think about how long it'll be until walkers blow through here and force them to move on again.

Nobody noticing the rag-tag group coming back from their excursion to the neighboring houses and heading straight for the backyard. Half of them already throwing the ball around and explaining to those who haven't played before, how to play baseball. And of course, arguing about who team captains are gonna be.

Ultimately it was decided that Eve & Daryl are not allowed to be on the same team because it would be an unfair advantage, and Eve & Glenn are not allowed to be on the same team because also unfair advantage. So Eve wound up team captain with Carl and Randall, against Glenn as team captain with Daryl & Beth.

Daryl by no means mentioned that he hasn't played baseball since high school mandatory PE class, and Beth kept it to herself that she played softball in middle school for 2 years.

Randall's leg isn't as good as it used to be, but he's got pretty good aim.

Eve & Glenn collaborated to make new rules for how to play since they don't have many players and everything was set to go.

Five minutes into the game: pure chaos.

All the rules scrambled faster than Randall's pitch and no one had any idea what anyone was doing anymore.

Everyone was following the rules they remembered but no one knew what anyone else was doing.

They were running, dodging, throwing, ducking, trying not to get hit with the ball, trying to hit the ball, trying to remember what plate was which as they ran between all the designated spots, trying not to run smack into each other. And the first two to fail at that, would be Carl & Glenn, colliding in the middle of the yard. Followed swiftly by Eve & Beth as the blonde was running for 1st(?) base and Eve was catching the ball. While Daryl and Randall laughed at all 4 from the out fields.

"We should'a played kickball instead." Randall swiped a tear from his eye, trying to catch his breath.

"Hell no." Glenn shouted from the ground, pointing at Randall. "You ever seen Eve with a soccer ball? It's like playing Mortal Kombat."

'Oh, you wanna see mortal kombat?' Eve helped Beth up and she lunged for Glenn.

Glenn took off like he sat in fire ants — sliding on the grass several times like a spider on roller skates — and played ring around the rosy with Carl, knowing Eve wouldn't risk hurting him. But it was inevitable she'd catch him. So he only has one card to play to get away with it.