Chapter 45

On my left, Shane produced a loud whistle sharp enough to make me flinch and clap my hand over my closest ear.

"Oi! Peach man"

I sent a glare at the side of his head as I held my ear, before leaning over the hood of the yellowish Cherokee once again.

"Creek flows South, past that farm house Daryl found. Maybe Sophia dropped the doll there, current brought it downstream." Rick continued from the head of the hood, after that startling interruption from his partner.

You'd think he could hold out on having a peach 'till we're done talkin' about finding a lost child.

"So what, you think she took this road here then she went North?" Shane ran his finger over the map, returning his focus to the man on his left.

"Yeah. What's up that way?" Rick looked to Jimmy on his left.

"Housing development. It went in maybe 10 years ago" Jimmy answered, resting his chin on his palm opposite of me.

"Take a run up there after gun practice." Rick looked to Shane. "I'll hold down the fort here, but take backup." He urged.

"After what went down with Daryl, I don't want anyone going out alone— that includes you." Rick pointed at me, "We stay in pairs."

"I'll take suggestions on a partner" Shane turned as Glenn came up with a basket; taking a peach off the top.

"See how they do on the range, then take your pick." Rick turned, taking his own fruit.

I waved my hand, passing on the offering of food for once. I don't wanna eat right before I go out. Not if running is all but a guarantee. Even if we're doin' gun training first.

...He's not making eye contact.

"Thanks" Jimmy took a piece of fruit.

I eyed Glenn suspiciously and watched him look over his shoulder. My eyebrows knit together, following his line of sight to Lori, who is also looking this way— at Glenn.

No one else seemed to notice, surprisingly, but she looks nervous.

Glenn looks like he wants to say something, to Rick.

Oooo, I smell a secret.

I gave him an encouraging glance, trying to persuade him to speak his mind but before he could even open his mouth, Shane spoke around his mouthful.

"Binoculars"

"Huh? Yeah— oh yeah" Glenn put down the basket and pulled the optical device off his shoulder, handing them over to Shane.

I sighed and eyed Glenn with a 'We will talk later' look and I know he caught it because he grabbed that basket and is all but running away, with two rushed words, "Okay, bye."

Rick & Shane shared a look with a me. So they did notice that, if not anything before.

Shane snorted and chuckled with Rick, shaking his head.

Whatever Glenn's hiding, it involves Lori. Unless he was looking at another nervous homo sapien that I, a being with perfect 20/20 eyesight(last I checked), managed to miss.

I hoisted myself up onto the hood, leaning on my hand so I could see the map better and get off my feet for a bit. My heels are starting to complain.

Also, maybe, so I can get a better view of one Sheriff's wife and low-key observe her behavior for a bit. Wow, that sounded way more stalker-ish than intended.