Chapter 177

Rick slowly nodded, the motion a little shaky and unstable, like a part of him was resisting the change but he knew he needed to agree, for himself if no one else; failing to consciously realize in his muddled state of mind that it really wasn't a choice.

Rick's trusted weapon lowered to Eve's side as she let her hand down, and she watched with a stressed solemn heart as Rick made his way into the cell-block, hopefully to lie down and sleep for a while.

He's the second person in charge now who's cracked under the pressure and lost their mind, though he lasted much longer than Shane.

Eve doesn't dare take this position lightly.

It's safe to say that a clear chain of command is gonna be required. Not just a tacit understanding of who it defaults to when something happens and leaving it up to them to figure out what they should do in the event of a crisis. It would be better if everyone knew what they were supposed to do the majority of the time and didn't have to be told each time.

They don't have time to set up everything they need for this sudden change of leadership with Woodbury bearing arms and preparing for an attack.

She needs to prioritize — she needs to think, somewhere quiet where she won't be disturbed, but they don't have long to prepare. Having everyone dilly-dally here and just do whatever isn't gonna fly. Not only will it waste time, it'll put anxieties on the rise.

Eve looked up with a determined resolute gaze. "Carol, you handle the next meal. Carl, Randall, you're on watch. Beth, look after Judith. Big T, T-Dog, take stock of our supplies starting with ammo, food and gas, then report to me. Maggie, rest. Glenn, your priority is recovery. When you're ready, come see me."

"You," Eve looked at Michonne and the samurai stiffened, not knowing what to expect. "Rest."

Eve could see the confusion on her face and normally she wouldn't bother explaining but from what little she knows about this woman, she's prone to impulsive strikes and just from her posture she's even more tense than when Rick was waving around a gun.

It's understandable that she doesn't trust Eve, they haven't really spoken and speaking is neither of their strong suits. Thus she has no insight into Eve's character or her intentions and vice versa. It's natural for them to be wary of each other but they can't afford that right now. Nobody's stance or role can be ambiguous, so Eve opened her mouth.

"You helped start this fight, so take your share of responsibility. Until this is over, your place here is assured. No matter the outcome, afterwards you will be free to go. I have no reason to trust you, so Axel will keep an eye on you until further notice."

Michonne's lips pressed tight and nodded, resolutely. Agreeing that this is a fair arrangement, better than she could have expected to be honest.

She doesn't like being watched but she can't refute that while Rick may have had some reason, Eve has no reason to trust her, even though she helped save at least 4 from their group including herself.

Everything that's happened up to now, even with the rescue working in her favor, they've pretty much just broken even on the scale of who owes who.

Eve doesn't seem like the type of person to mess around (if only she knew), she seems a great deal more cautious than the others, Michonne saw that when she first saw the woman as she watched from behind a van when Merle was capturing them, back when he was chasing her down to kill her for the Governor.

It would be better to avoid getting on Eve's bad side.

As off-kilter as this group is, they're for the most part, reasonable, and a lot better than the secretive clown smiles of Woodbury, but it seems any form of slight or even just perceived betrayal is their bottom line. It won't be tolerated and as she just saw, Eve's intolerance comes with no warning.