Chapter 63

Daryl's POV

The Hell are those idiots doin'? Drivin' to Las Vegas?

I looked at the road again, stabbing my fire with a long branch.

How long's it take to drag one old fart back to his precious farm?

"We can't find Lori."

I glanced to my side as Carol came runnin' up, outta breath.

Hmph, figures. I resisted the urge to scoff and turned back at my fire.

"And the others aren't back yet either."

"Yeah" I jabbed the stick farther under a log, trying to shift it deeper into the fire. "Dumb bitch must've gone off lookin' for 'em."

"What?" Carol panted.

"Yeah, she asked me to go. Told 'er I was done bein' an errand boy." I shifted my knee higher under my elbow.

"And you didn't say anything?" Carol's voice rose an octave.

I stabbed the fire again, waiting for her to say more, to see how she chews me out for it, but the silence dragged on.

My eyes dropped to my lap after a solid minute and she hadn't said a word, but I can feel 'er starin' at me.

She started walking away but stopped and came back. "Don't do this. Please."

Do what?

"I've already lost my girl."

I stood, gettin' right in her face. "Yeah, that wasn't my problem neither."

I threw the stick to the ground, stomping to my tent. Apparently movin' my campsite a quarter of a mile away from theirs ain't far enough to get these people off my back.

They're more troublesome than the swamp monster 'erself.

Just cause she's always gotta help when someone so's much as needs a hand wipin' their ass, doesn't mean I gotta.

I ducked inside the fabric hut.

Why they all so worried, anyway? Eve went with those assholes. They'll be fine.

That women may be the biggest trouble magnet I ever met, but she'll make sure they get back. Even if she's gotta drag 'em.

It's amazin' she's even made it this far in one piece, she'd take a bullet for anyone.

I froze. My fingers lingered on the inside zipper of my tent.

"The others aren't back yet either."

...

"She can take care of 'erself. I ain't 'er babysitter." I growled under my breath, yanking the zipper down to close.

I laid down, putting my arm behind my head and closed my eyes.

'My hold on Eve's forearm slid to her wrist and her foot slipped. Her chest slammed against the root my foot was braced against, and she gasped; all of the air being forced from her lungs.

Hoarse coughs erupted from her throat at the impact, and she began to slide down.

Her arm started slipping out of my grip, and her hand gripped my arm live a vice but she was still sliding.'

I groaned, turning on my side. It ain't my job to get her outta trouble.

"Thought I said I wouldn't come save ur ass" I panted, glancing over the muddy raised root, into the 20 foot sinkhole.