Chapter 131

I heard a chuckle behind me and turned a little, still clutching my rock and raised an eyebrow at Glenn who's snickering.

"You two sure look cozy." Mischief gleamed off Glenn's dark firelit eyes.

Daryl and I looked at each other but one look at his face tells me he's got no idea what Glenn's talking about either.

I shrugged and turned back to watch, ignoring the other quiet snickers behind us.

"One more hour, then rotate until the morning shift." Rick reminded before climbing down and going back to the fire.

We did exactly that with not much happening. Just staring out at the quiet snow covered night woods. Over the hour people turned in, taking their places in the cars to protect from the cold.

It's like sleeping in an airplane seat if you can't lean the seat back but thankfully Daryl & I get to share my spacious new ride. I seriously love this truck. It makes me almost glad that the apocalypse happened because I never would've been able to afford a 60-100,000 dollar ride before.

The change of guard finally came when my fingernails feel like I could peel them off and not feel a thing.

Daryl got down first, I tucked the blanket around Maggie nice and snug, giving her a pat on the head. She smiled at me and gave my arm a little push before I turned and slid down the windshield; freezing my backside more than it already was.

Even with my awesome-grip boots the hood's slippery. I took Daryl's outstretched hand from beside the truck and took the plunge of bracing my other hand on the metal as I hopped down.

My boots hit the thin layer of slush built up inside our little protective circle, sloshing it out from under my step as I moved aside, letting go of Daryl's hand — I don't know by what powers it isn't a popsicle like mine but ahem, share with the class, please.

He opened the truck door and motioned for me to climb through first, since the other door is on the outside of the circle and I would have had to climb off the other side of the room to get to it.

I gave a brief smile, nodding as thanks before climbing up and used these mile-long legs of mine to climb over the center.

Cold does not lend well to agility. I bumped my head on the ceiling and almost stepped wrong once I actually got my foot over but as soon as I dropped into the plush leather passenger seat I toed my shoes off and pulled my legs up.

Daryl climbed in and closed the door with as little noise as possible, while I twisted my upper body into the center to get into the backseat and shuffle around some stuff for the sleeping bags.

Daryl's was easy to grab and pass to him, but I had to wrestle mine from under a heavy plastic bin with my books in it.

Something bumped my hip and I twisted, thinking Daryl needed something but he just muttered "Sorry" and finished unzipping his sleeping back to lay over himself like a blanket instead. Crazy huntsman.

I finally got mine and slid back into the front seat. Unlike Mr.Furnace over there, I wiggled & shimmied my way into my sleeping bag while Daryl leaned his seat back.

I followed suit as soon as the bag was pooling around my waist.

I pressed the door lock button, even though the only door that isn't was Daryl's, and I made sure to check each of the doors before burrowing down into my bag like a drowning marshmallow.

I snuggled into myself, trying to stop my shivering.

"Ey" Daryl muttered, patting me and missed my shoulder, getting me in the neck instead. Thankfully it was a soft pat and not like a karate chop.

I shifted until I could get my face out of the bag. It's dark enough that I can't see much of his face but he held a tiny white pouch out to me and I dinosaur-armed my hands so I could take it.

As soon as I took it, I legitimately purred. The hand warmer radiating a heat bubble around my hands. It almost burns from how cold my fingers are.

"Next time, don't wait until ya got icicles for hands." Daryl tucked my hands back down into my face (I'm sure he didn't know it was my face) and made himself comfortable again, already settling down to sleep.

My face is a lot warmer than it was a second ago.

Probably the hand warmer.

	I woke up shivering and in the pitch dark

I woke up shivering and in the pitch dark. Never a pleasant combination.

My knuckles dug into my eye sockets. I never have been a huge fan of the cold. Chilly I can handle, sometimes even like, but below freezing? Nahh, sorry. That's not my really jam.

I like strawberry more than blueberry. Ok, that was a stretch. I tried to find the fruit jam joke, but it's too early for coherency.

There's like one spot on my head that's really warm though.

I peaked my head out of the top of my sleeping bag and almost had a heart attack when I almost poked my own amber eye out with a stubbled chin.

I'm not oblivious, I know who it is just... I don't remember falling asleep close enough to bump heads.

I maneuvered myself back without bumping him until I could sit up. The frost on the windows blocks most of the outside from view, and although still cold, it's warmer inside than it was when we went to sleep.

I wonder if Merle's/Daryl's motorcycle is ok? I don't know that much about motorcycle engines but if they freeze like care engines, that could be pretty bad. I mean, we could always put it the bed of my truck, provided we can find a way to get it there.

I heard a car door outside and looked, glancing at Daryl wrapped up in his sleeping bag blanket before I figured out it was Carol and Hershel moving around outside. Starting a fire by the looks of it.

Today, I need to talk to Rick about finding a place to whole up. We won't survive long term on the road like this in these temperatures.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Wow, packing up for my move hasn't left me with much free time lol. Also, I decided to try a new actual line break thing and I think I like it, what about you?

Don't forget to vote, comment, and follow for more!

Support me on Patreon!

It's free to sign up, you can donate anywhere from 1 - 10 dollars a month, whatever you feel is fair.

Becoming a patron will give you access to things non-patrons don't get, like my monthly writing tips series and more in the future.

www.patreon.com/Miimaas