Chapter 34

We finally returned to the farm, just as the sun touched the horizon and began dying the skyline a warm hue.

The 4th random shiver in a half hour, ran up my spine and I peeled my shirt away my skin, trying to ease some of the cold.

I snapped the wet fabric against my skin, jabbing my thumb towards the house.

Daryl nodded, starting towards the RV but short stopped and pointed at his forehead, "You should have the old man take a look at that."

I touched my temple and hissed, finding blood on my fingertips. I almost forgot about this. It can't be that bad if I haven't felt the blood before now.

My stomach sank and regrettably something of a whine came out of my throat. I hope it doesn't need stitches.

I gave a thumbs up, and we parted ways. My step more apprehensive than before as I headed for the house.

I got many a curious look on my way but once I was inside, the look on Lori's face— priceless.

If I didn't know she was a mother, that look right there would be the biggest dead give away short of walkers handing out limbs, free of charge.

"Oh my— What on Earth happened out there?" Lori rushed towards me from her place against the kitchen counter.

The other two women turned to find the walking flood that is myself at the kitchen doorway, while Lori worked to pull a stick out of my hair. At least I'm not a mudslide anymore. I'm fairly certain I would have been mistaken for a walker the moment I walked in.

I did expect this sort of reaction to some extent but a small part of me expected them to laugh or at least smile like Daryl had at the creek.

Hell, now that my life is no longer in danger and I can't feel my toes or fingertips, I could laugh about it.

I felt the broadening of a smile on my face, despite not being able to tell where my numb lips are, exactly.

I must've completely missed the question young Beth asked because the next thing I knew they're all staring at me.

Lori glanced at her boots like she— everyone around here tends to do before meeting my gaze. Oh no, I sense something unpleasant coming.

"Did you find anything?"

Abracadabra; just like that my pleasant mood is gone, replaced with a hollowing ache in my already pain riddled chest.

Even if I was one for words, I wouldn't have any right now. A shake of my head was all I could manage.

"Eve?"

My eyes snapped up to meet Maggie's and after a few seconds her face filled with sympathy; Not necessarily for me.

"Do you have any spare clothes?"

I nodded and moved to go back out to get my backpack but Lori stopped me.

"I'll get 'em. You go get cleaned up." She pulled another root off my jacket and was gone before I could protest and Maggie motioned at me.

"Come on, bathroom's this way."

I didn't argue. Despite not being overly fond of the idea of someone else handling my stuff. Even if it's only my backpack.

Exhaustion does strange things to my head but add what feels like hundreds of small aches and pains all over every inch of me, and I might as well be a robot.

~

Clouded water dripped from my hands while I painstakingly pulled small roots and bits of twigs out of my spidery hair. The water went cold almost half an hour ago but I still haven't been able to get even 2/3rds of these little bits out.