Chapter 13

Opening the door discreetly, I pulled my night vision goggles out of my bag and pulled them over my head before taking both my knives into my fists.

Okay 6 walkers to the right, 9 to the left heading past. If we move along the side of the building and go behind those sandbags halfway we should be able to make it past without drawing attention to ourselves.

I motioned for them to follow, staying low as I slipped out. Keeping to the side of the building, I stopped behind a wall and peeked around making sure the coast was clear.

I pulled the goggles off and handed them to Glenn just behind me as I glanced back. I pointed towards the sandbags 10 yards from us. He nodded and made the sprint, ducking behind them and looked around with the goggles.

He gave a thumbs up and I sent Daryl, Shane, and Rick next before going myself.

Glenn handed the goggles to Rick as soon as I got there and he looked towards the cars before handing them back to me.

"Eve, think you and Daryl can handle the one by the rear truck?"

I looked the goggles and nodded.

"Good. Only grab what you can carry. Eve, Daryl, and Glenn go to the truck and the van, Shane and I will take the Cherokee and the RV."

We split into two teams and on my signal, ran for the cars.

I went straight for the walker next to the Cherokee's bumper; spilling walker blood from the back of it's skull all down my sleeve, while Glenn and Daryl went for the truck. I carefully set the body on the ground, minimizing as much noise as I could and covered Glenn while he dug through the van.

Daryl was in and out of the truck in a matter of seconds and keeping guard with me. Not surprising considering all that wasn't much in there in the first place.

Glenn closed the van door a bit louder than I would've liked but it didn't look like anything heard us and we moved around the Cherokee to the RV without a hitch.

Glenn covered Shane while he dug through the Cherokee, and Daryl watched, while I ducked inside the RV and helped Rick grabbed everything we could and shove it in bags.

"That's everything" Rick muttered as we sealed the bags up. I heard Daryl's low, brief warning whistle and secured the large bags to my person as I came out.

Daryl pulled us both around the front of the RV, to avoid walker eyes and we crept along the back, meeting up with Shane and Glenn behind the Cherokee.

I peered over the hood across the distance back to the building through my goggles and clicked my tongue.

Damn, we're blocked.

I scanned around but it was no use. There's too many for just us five and guns aren't an option.

Shit...

"What's it look like?" Rick questioned, no doubt getting restless.

We need a distraction.

I passed the goggles to Rick as I looked around for anything we could use but there wasn't much more than rocks, a few pieces of broken glass and some litter.

"Oh Christ" Rick passed the goggles to Daryl who took a brief look before passing them to Shane and moving around Rick to crouch next me.

"What are we gonna do, we can't get past that without being seen" I glanced at Glenn who now had the goggles.

I might be able to use the glass, maybe throw one of those half bottles, draw them away with the shatter. But that won't draw the ones closer to the building. At the most they'll be looking away.