Chapter 128

2 Weeks Later

"This is it?" Glenn asked as soon as he got out of the pastel lime green car that honestly makes me a little nervous about how easy it is to see.

I shut the back door behind me, pointing to the two-car garage that houses a black pickup truck I saw yesterday after we found storage units nearby to stay in. Daryl and I went out hunting and found this house.

The truck isn't the exact thing I had in mind for a heavy hauling vehicle. The gas mileage is what most concerns me for a truck this big.

It's a twin cab with a bed that would fit a small elephant if it was laying down on it's side. But it has a snow plow hitch on the front.

I've been keeping my eyes sharp — even going out of my way to find one of these, and this is the first one I've seen.

Figures it would be in a place where there's like a half mile long driveway to a secluded property, where they probably had to plow their own driveway.

I don't know much about trucks, but I had a neighbor with a similar model, and I know this one uses diesel, which will be far easier to find than normal gas. Not that many vehicles out there use diesel.

The only drawback is, it uses a lot of it. Which means we (Daryl, Glenn, Maggie, and I) need to double back to that station on our way into this little town, where they had a toppled stack of gas cans all over the doorway, holding it open.

I'm not crazy about going back there, it looked eerie. Like something serious went down not too long ago but if they weren't just sitting there in the doorway, I'd be more resistant.

Daryl and Maggie came around the other side of the car, standing on either side of me.

"Alright, how we gon' do this?" I followed Daryl's gaze to the house window and to the reason we didn't just use this bad boy to get back yesterday night (when we cut it too close to dark for comfort; not our fault those disgusting units are like a maze).

"Jesus," Glenn gripped his hooked machete a little tighter, staring through the dirty windows of the tan two-story house — which doesn't look all that big actually until you count the windows and realize there's gotta be like 9 rooms in this place, not counting main ones like the kitchen or living room.

On the other side of the glass, close to 8 walkers are wandering around, two of them pushing against the windows but their eyes must not be that great cause they don't seem anymore riled up with our presence than they were yesterday, when Daryl & I creeped out of the bushes.

"We opened the back door yesterday and let most of em out, but a few of em are still wanderin' around in there." Daryl narrowed his eyes a little, leaning forward on his front leg to try and see inside a little better.

"How are we supposed to get the truck outta there without drawing them to us?" Maggie asked as I glanced around, making sure we don't get snuck up on.

All eyes turned to Glenn and I, as we spent last night strategizing how we could get the truck out without walking into a herd that's decided to have a house party. My guess is, they must've chased something inside and it got trapped, eaten, and the doors must've close somehow so the walkers were the ones who got trapped inside.

"Alright, here's the plan." Glenn turned to face us. "Maggie, you and I are gonna draw the walkers to that end of the house." He pointed with his weapon to the far right end. "While Daryl boosts Eve through the window on the side of the garage. Once inside, she's gonna unlock the side door and let you in, one person providing cover while the other finds the keys, or hotwires the truck if you can't."