Chapter 102

My palms pressed against the metal of the car at my side as I tried to use every last muscle that hasn't been injured or used to death yet, to get my feet back underneath me. Though it's impossible not to use any of them when 90% of my entire body is this way.

The ones that are getting pulled burn like a rope that's about to snap. My breaths came in rapid pants through my stinging dry nose but I hauled my torso up over the hood of the car with a final pull and my arms went limp over the grim-smeared silver metal.

'Come on' I dragged my palms back underneath me into a pushup position.

'Come on! Get up' I pushed three pumping breaths through my respiratory system and grit my teeth so hard it feels like my tooth's gonna crack before forcing all that remaining energy into my arms.

I pushed off the car and staggered like a walker on legs shaking like a newborn horse.

They ache like all the marrow's dried up and feel as weak as wet pretzels.

I managed two steps before I wobbled and slammed into the side of the car again, my hands slid off the side, barely able to catch a grip on the lowered window to keep myself from falling.

My breath fanned my shaking hands. My mouth dying for water, Hell I might even drink engine grease at this point.

I can't hear anything but my own blood pulsing in my ears, and the wind doesn't help either.

I let go of the car, pushing myself off and stumbled into something of a staggered drunk-jog before heat flushed my body, accompanying waves of intense pain from all areas of my body.

My head swam and I stumbled out from behind the car into a clearer part of the road and I can't tell if the road is uneven or if it's my own ankle but I couldn't even blink before the pavement was fast approaching.

My hands barely came out but they did next to nothing to break my fall as I've finally hit my limit.

My cheek smashed into the gravel and I know it's bruised, scratched, and bleeding now.

I can't go any farther. No matter how much I want to. No matter how much harder I try to fight, I can't anymore.

My lips began to tremble.

I've done everything in my power, just to end up here.

A warm drop slid down my dirt & sweat caked cheek.

Is this really it?

Is this all there ever was for me? Despite every day I got up and expected nothing different, I could still get up and look up at the one thing that won't ever change. That'll always be here, as long as I am. But this is where it ends?

All this way, just to end up on the rough asphalt of a dirty abandon street smelling like the corpse I'm destined to be, and not even able to take one last look at the only thing that's always accompanied me no matter what was happening to me.

All my efforts — against all kinds of odds — and they take me barely to the cusp of another day and not a sliver farther.

Fate has a twisted sense of humor.

I'm tired. I'm so tired of going on like this.

Maybe... maybe this is where I should call it quits.

Heh, maybe this is where I've always been destined to hand in the towel.

It feels like my temple is vibrating, but I honestly can't tell anymore why my vision's blurred, and I'm not even going to try.

I don't know what manner of creature screeches so high pitch and rough but I can take a dread inducing educated guess as the footsteps echo in my cotton-ears like the white noise of words on the other side of sealed glass.

I don't even have the energy left to look.

This isn't how I pictured my end.

I suppose no one is really accurate in that regard. It never actually hits you until it's happening.

I never thought I would die alone. That's a lie. I knew I would. But not this alone.

I always thought that even if I didn't have anyone around, there would at least be someone nearby. Whether I died in a hospital, a car accident, a mugging gone wrong, in my sleep, or of old age. There were too many people in this world to really be alone.

There would always be someone within a few miles at the very least. Unless somehow I wound up in the middle of central Kansas or something; where there's literally nothing but open flat fields and maybe windmills for hundreds of miles (trust me, I know from experience).

After I met the group I thought... I thought maybe even if I did die suddenly and unexpectedly, I actually wouldn't be alone. There'd at least be people who would remember me, maybe even miss me, and I'd probably go out trying to keep them alive because that's what I've done from the moment this all went belly up.

I suppose that's exactly what I've just done.

I can't even summon a bitter laugh at that thought.

I hope they're safe.

I hope they found each other, at least some of them.

I hope none of them are alone.

There's nothing more I can do for them, but god please... let it have been enough. Let them make it through this.

I didn't even open my eyes as grimy hands grabbed at my back and shoulder and dragged me off my stomach, to my back.

My heart leapt into my throat, but not even the adrenaline spike can get my limbs moving. I can't even tell if my muscles tensed but I surprised myself with the one thing that flickered into my mind like someone lighting a candle.

"Thought you could handle yerself."

"I can. Doesn't mean I don't need someone there, or that I can't get unlucky."

'I'm never gonna see him again...'

My throat closed up, another tear pouring down my cheek.

'or Glenn, or Carl, or—'

One sound and my eyelids cracked to see the vast blue. But not the blue I expected.

"Eve!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Happy holidays everyone!

I hope you all have a cheerful holiday, spend time with those you love and do some fun things, get a much needed breath of fresh air.

Also, OMG

Over 100K reads

I legit choked on my hot chocolate when I went to upload this chp and glanced at that number.

You guys are tryna kill me -- last time this happened, I hurt my foot.

You guys are absolutely incredible. I hope you continue to enjoy this story, and look forward to my next work (which is shaping up to be an original work).

Have a great holiday break and I wish you all happiness and fortune in your coming journeys. You all have been my greatest support through one of my hardest times and I can't thank you enough.

Don't forget to vote, comment, and follow for more!