Chapter 28

I had a little trouble getting into the car and Daryl was sure to laugh at me, well as close as he gets to laughing -which is pretty much just a scoff and head shake- before lending me a hand and I was sure to elbow him in the leg for finding amusement in my pain once I was in.

He passed me my backpack and I nodded as thanks, side-eyeing him from inside the car.

He closed the door —probably to keep me from escaping— and as Glenn pulled out I gave him a mock salute and stuck out my tongue, to which he shook his head with that almost smile.

~

We reached the farm after dark. Mostly because Glenn missed the turn...twice.

I got out of the car before Glenn could and opened the gate, letting him drive through before I closed and latched it and got back in; not as much trouble as the first time but it still hurt like a skateboard the shins.

Glenn parked the car a distance from the house under a tree in the driveway, and we all got out.

Going up to the steps, Glenn and T stopped in front of me; eyes set on a set of red drips on the top step.

"So do we ring the bell? I mean it looks like people live here." Glenn looked back at me as if I had the answer.

I put my hand on his shoulder, and he looked to T as he said, "We're past this kind of stuff, aren't we?"

"Having to be considerate." T-Dog swayed in his step as they started up the steps and I noticed that girl from earlier sitting on the porch.

I broke off without notice and went around to look at her.

They reached the top of the stairs and I came up on the other side of the girl who was watching them in mild amusement from the faded green rocking chair against the house.

"You close the gate up the road when you drove in?" she made her presence known to them and they stopped to look at her.

"Uh, hi..." Glenn started awkwardly. "Yes, we closed it. Did the latch and everything."

She dropped her legs down off the chair and leaning against her elbows on her knees.

"Hello. Nice to see you again" Glenn made a lame attempt at being polite. She didn't respond and he shook his head slightly, "We, ah, met before...briefly."

So it wasn't just me he wasn't smooth with. I wonder, does he have this kind of trouble talking to all new women he meets?

"Look, we came to help. There anything we can do—" T-Dog grunted painfully.

"It's not a bite. I uh...I cut myself pretty bad though." T-Dog reassured the girl.

"We'll have it looked at. I'll tell 'em yer here." She stood and went to open the door.

"We have uh, some painkillers and antibiotics" Glenn pulled out the pills from his backpack. "I already gave him some." he gestured to T-Dog, sparing him a glance. "If Carl needs any..."

"Come on inside, I'll make you something to eat." She opened the door and turned to go in first but jumped out of her skin when she saw me, a short scream escaped her lips.

"Oh— that's Eve." Glenn was quick to make sure she didn't panic, thinking I'm a walker. I lifted my hands in surrender, offering the best disarming smile I could.

"She does that a lot. I guess we should have warned you..."Glenn trailed off awkwardly.

Her eyes fixed on my hands, reminding me of the scratches spanning my palms.