Chapter 96

Eve's POV

Following Daryl to the porch railing, I almost walked into his back before freezing.

"Oh my God..." Andrea breathed on my right.

My mouth dropped open staring at the teams of walkers streaming like tired soldiers out of the far treeline.

We were out there not ten minutes ago, how the Hell did we not even hear a herd that size!?

"Patricia, kill the lights." Hershel stage-whispered at the short blonde woman near the front door and a moment later the lights went out, leaving us in darkness but it's no use, they're still headed this way and even if they're slow, it won't take those walkers long to reach us.

"I'll get the guns," Andrea went back into the house. I nodded as she passed me.

"Maybe they're just passing, like the herd on the highway. Should we just go inside?" Glenn asked from behind me and I turned to glance at him before returning my eyes to the hoards of walkers pouring out of the treeline like ants to fallen food.

"Not unless there's a tunnel downstairs I don't know about. Herd that size will rip the house down." Daryl nodded at the masses.

For now they seem to be wandering aimlessly but unfortunately in the exact direction of the house. The barn is splitting them into two streams from what I can see.

"Carl's gone."

"What?" we all turned to the panicking dark haired woman practically running out of the house.

"He was up stairs I can't find him anywhere." Lori put her hands on her rapid chest.

"Maybe he's hiding." Glenn offered weakly. No if Carl were hiding and heard his mom, he'd come out. Plus why would he be hiding? He doesn't even know about this — as far as we know.

"He's supposed to be upstairs. I'm not leavin' without my boy." Lori refuted, voice rising in pitch as panic began to take hold in her eyes.

"We're not." Carol grabbed her hands, immediately. "We're gonna — we're gonna look again, we're gonna find him."

Oh god. If he's out there...

The others aside from Lori & Carol came back to the porch with the bag of guns and heaved it next to my feet between all of us.

"Maggie," Glenn stared at the girl digging a couple shotguns outta the bag and handed him one.

"You grow up country, you pick up a thing or two." Maggie loaded her weapon.

You are just full of surprises, my dear.

"I got the numbers — it's no use." Daryl dismissed their plan.

"You can go if you want." Hershel loaded his shotgun.

"You gon' take 'em all on?" Daryl asked in disbelief but a strange almost respect-laiden undertone laced his question.

"We have guns, we have cars." Hershel loaded his shotgun.

Cars?! You think cars are gonna be the advantage we need?

"Kill as many as we can. And we'll use the cars to lead the rest of them off the farm." Andrea lined her pockets with ammo from the bag beside my feet.

Unless you've got a tank, we're gonna get battered six ways to Sunday.

We need machine guns with unlimited ammo!