Chapter 65

The scream tore from the kid's lips right in my ear, leaving my eardrum ringing. I slammed my hands over his mouth but his scream was still too loud for me smother.

I shot a desperate look at Rick before I reeled my fist back.

One shot to the side of the head and the kid was out.

I shook out my aching fist, taking my piece from Rick, and covered him while he pulled the kid off the dumpster and threw him over his shoulder.

As soon as Rick was on his way, I followed him, walking backwards until I reached the street and booked it to the car.

I jumped into the back seat just as Rick finished piling the kid in, and shoved the kid's legs outta the way, slamming the door while Rick slammed the driver's side and put pedal to the floor.

-

Daryl's POV

I stared at the roof of my tent for what felt like hours, before I finally sat up and started pickin' at my crossbow.

It's gon' be sunrise soon.

I heard footsteps and peeked outside, unzipping the tent.

Carol? The Hell she doin' back 'ere?

I left my tent, going up behind her while she was looking at my ear-necklace hanging next to my most recent kills strung between two trees.

A twig snapped when I was right behind her, and she whirled around. "What're you doin'?"

She jolted seeing me right behind 'er. "Keepin' an eye on you."

"Ain't you a peach." I circled around her.

"I'm not gonna let you pull away. You've earned your place."

"If you spent half your time mindin' your daughter's business instead of stickin' your nose into everybody else's, she'd still be alive!" Carol took half a step back, as I got closer.

I moved back, and she swallowed.

"Go ahead."

What? The Hell is she talking about?

"Go ahead and what?" I stepped closer again, scowling.

She didn't move, or say nothing. Just stood there, starin' at me.

"Just go! I don't want you here." I swung my arm, moving to go back to my tent but she didn't move; didn't so much as blink.

God, it's almost like lookin' at Eve.

"You're a real piece a work, lady." I jabbed my finger at her, stepping closer again.

"What, are you gonna make this about my daddy or some crap like that?" I moved back again, scoffing. "Pfft, man. You don't know Jack"

The Hell is she doin' just starin at me like that? Like she thinks it'll accomplish somethin' and what was that crap about me not lettin' me pull away?

I know what she's doin'. She's tryna pull the same crap Eve does. Just standin' there takin' everybody's shit but you ain't Eve! That woman can pull shit like this cause she can handle 'erself.

You wanna walk in that woman's shoes? Fine. This oughta get rid of you, then.

"You're afraid. You're afraid cause your all alone. You got no husband, no daughter. You don't know what to do with yourself."

"You ain't my problem! Sophia wasn't mine!" I moved towards her again.

"All you had to do was just keep an eye on 'er!" I stepped closer again.