Chapter 89

Ok so, I am literally moving  the other side of the country at the end of this week, and driving the whole way. So I might not be able to publish for the next 2 Monday's -- but I'm still going to try.

They could just be published later in the week when I have a decent enough internet connection and time to write, or they might not happen at all.  If that ends up being the case, I will update twice once I'm settled in the new place to make up for the loss (and maybe a bonus 3rd as an apology/reward for your patience).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Well, my own boots are kinda sticking to the ground and every leaf on it, so that's a good sign.

I scanned the trees with every quiet step over wet leaves just starting to crisp up enough that it's making it difficult to move as quietly as I'm used to.

I readjusted my grip on my knives, licking my dry lips.

Even though the sun is out and shining the cold is biting at my skin through my jacket. Leather helps with fending off teeth — and you know, looking cool — but not so much with cold weather. If it were windy maybe but not an all around temperature free fall.

Autumn is deceptive. Cause things don't look like they should be this cold while the sun is out but then you step outside and it's like 'I'm sorry, did you want that sunshine to be warm¿ Tough.'

I shivered, tucking my elbows a little closer to my sides. I need to get more layers asap, cause this is only gonna get worse. For all we know it could start snowing any day now. By next week we could be trudging through knee deep snow, wondering if there's a walker just lying under the fresh powder waiting for something to step on it like a landmine.

I'll bet we start seeing frost in the mornings as early as tomorrow. I thought I saw a little bit this morning but I got up kinda late so I don't know.

As soon as Rick & Daryl get back today, we need to talk about those winter-stock up runs and decide when to go; preferably sooner rather than later given the drastic turns in weather.

There's a lot a things we need that we don't have, or at least don't have enough of. Like blankets, properly storing food so we don't starve in case there's a bad storm, snow gear, gloves, ground salt would be amazing — oh and snow tires even more so. Even just chains we can hook around the car wheels to give more traction would be better than what we've got right now.

The woods are as quiet as ever though, thankfully — maybe even more so than usual.

The only sounds I've noticed are the occasional wind rustled leaves, birds overhead and sometimes in the wilting bushes, and strangely cicadas still. I didn't think they would still be around this late in the season but then again, I don't know that much about bugs.

It's the absent sounds that are more concerning for me at the moment. I can't hear any water or even skittering from possible furry critters. The ground floor of the forest is oddly quiet and at first it set me on edge but now I'm starting to think it's just wildlife shifting between seasons. Preparing for the harsher climate.

That's how I definitely know winter is just around the corner. First to know are the animals. Their instinct for it is much better than our own, so using them is a good benchmark to go by when we don't have anything more accurate at our disposal.

It wasn't long before I came up on the riverbed. I almost didn't recognize it if it wasn't for my boot getting stuck.

Oh this isn't good.