Chapter 114

The sleek black bolt pierced the birds eye and it dropped like a rock from the branch it had perched on above us.

I stuck my hands out without even thinking and the bird literally fell right into them. Almost impaling itself on my dagger.

The bolt's tail almost whacked me in the side of the face but at least I caught it.

I smiled at Daryl, unable to hide the elation coursing through me at the idea of not having to eat squirrel — or just squirrel at the very least.

"6, 7... That makes 6 squirrels and 3 birds. That should be good enough for now. We better head back 'fore the other have a panic attack." Daryl held out the other birds in his hand as I pulled his bolt out of this one's eye-socket with a gross 'slick' and traded him.

He almost grabbed my hand instead of the bolt which brought the red on my fingers to my attention.

Daryl scoffed and I looked up at him. "What's that face for? Not like you never had blood on yer hands before."

I stuck my tongue out at him and he almost snorted, rolling his eyes. "Come on"

I put both birds feet into my left hand so they'll be easier to carry and fell into — crunchy — step beside Daryl.

It took us about 20 minutes of comfortable silence and bumping each other's shoulders every now and then until we made it back out of the trees and trudged to the henge to get this stuff cleaned up and ready to make into something edible.

Just in time too, I'm about ready to eat one of these things raw.

Yes, even the squirrel.

I shivered at just the thought of this actually sounding like a good, appetizing idea.

Daryl looked at me. "You cold or somethin?"

I dismissed it with a head shake and stowed my knife now that we're back at camp.

Glenn was sitting up when we walked back through the entryway, looking like he didn't just wake up, but has probably only been awake for 10 minutes, tops.

It looks like everyone's awake too.

Good. That means he and I can make a run for some gas. Unlike everyone else here, we've done duo runs just the two of us so many times it should be a cake walk for us to go get something to get our asses out of here.

We gotta find somewhere to hole up fast. We can't stay out here another night.

I whistled at Glenn and as soon as he looked at me, I tapped my knives; our signal for 'grab your gear we're heading out'. I haven't used this signal in a long time. Not since the quarry.

His eyebrows furrowed at me. "Now? Where? What for?"

"Gas and scout." I answered simply.

"Hell nah." I turned, almost flinching at the sudden growl from Daryl.

"Not with those bruises you aren't." Glenn motioned at my gut and I glanced as he did.

Since when did these two start teaming up?

Daryl motioned at Glenn and Ace stood up, grabbing his gear as Daryl turned back to me. "You ain't goin' nowhere, Sunshine."

"We'll take ma brother's bike, but yer sittin' yer ass down." He pointed at the spot next to Carl on the open sleeping bag, which is now next to the fire like a little sitting area.

Before I could argue, they were heading out and everyone else was giving me pointed looks to do as the man said. A few look like they're gonna whoop my ass if I don't but I just stood there, dumbfounded and blinking as both of my partners are walking away without me.

I feel cheated. Even a little left out.

Oh that's a weird feeling. Haven't felt like that in awhile.

"Eve, could you help Randall boil the water?" Lori asked and I looked towards the kid by the fire.

Yeah... sure.

I heard the engine and watched Daryl & Glenn slowly take off along the road, Rick walking back. I didn't even see him go over there with them.

-

I sat on top of the wall with the rifle in my hands, watching the road more than the treeline. My leg bouncing like I'm really trying not to scratch an itch.

It's almost noon now. They should've been back an hour ago.

I glanced over to the other wall, where T-Dog's standing. Maggie's organizing our supplies down there; she's like the 3rd person aside from me to do that now.

Carol and Lori are using what Daryl & I caught this morning to make at least something for everyone.

Hershel suggested stew. There'll be enough for everyone and it'll fill our stomachs, even though there's not much to work with. It won't be the tastiest thing ever, bland as water chestnuts but hey, at least it's better than raw squirrel.

Hershel's been talking to Rick quietly outside the henge for about 10 minutes now. Not far from where Beth & Randall are picking up more firewood.

You know, that kid continues to surprise me. Turns out, he knows a thing or two about a few edible plants thanks to some high school project he did a few years ago, and he found some a little while ago, while they've been collecting.

By some I mean like less than a handful but that means the stew won't be as tasteless as it was going to be. And hopefully these little leaves have some kind herbal medicine type of mojo but I think that might be asking a little much. Last I checked, mother nature wasn't in that forgiving of a mood. In fact, I'd say she's rather pissed at us at the moment, so we'll be lucky if Randall's not mistaken and they're not poisonous.

Damn, I get a lot edgier when I'm tired and in pain.

How long is it gonna take for these damn bruises to heal?

Normal bruises take about 5 days but something tells me I'm gonna be in for a lot longer.

I perked up as I heard the slightest rumble and my eyes fixed on the gray dusty road.

Seconds ticked by like years until I saw the beautiful glimmer of sunlight off steel and I smiled.

I pursed my lips and with a short whistle and pointed finger, I alerted the others that the boys are back.

I climbed down off the wall, losing my strength halfway down after lowering myself but good thing my legs aren't beat up or they wouldn't have been able to absorb the shock.

Maggie and Rick came with me as I hiked up to the road edge, watching Daryl put down the kickstand for his motorcycle while Glenn climbed off with a gas can.

They've definitely got some new stains and that blood splatter is fresh but they don't look hurt.

I gave them both a once over and Daryl waved me off. "We found a place to hole up for tonight."

"How far?" Rick asked.

"Not far. Maybe 3 miles." Glenn answered, wiping his nose on the back of his wrist before walking with Maggie to the other cars.

"Oh, and these." Daryl pulled a couple cans out of his backpack.

Good, we could always use food. And when it's gone, the cans themselves will be useful as well.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You guys are so witty it kills me. I get hundreds of notifications a week now and half of them are you guys just slaying my composure.

You guys are seriously awesome. Which reminds me!

Thank you so much @Pellegrinoe3 for the amazing fan-arts of Daryl & Eve! They're seriously cool.