Chapter 99

I limped through the forest, subtly glancing over my shoulder as more and more walkers began to pile behind us; following.

A couple wouldn't have been so bad. A couple dozen almost can't be worse.

They haven't noticed us yet. They're just following along, but some of them are faster with longer strides and they're starting to drive a wedge between me and the kid.

They're pouring in from the front as well.

I have no idea how that will affect our ability to move away from them but that's not our biggest issue now.

If the others are at the highway, we can't lead a herd this size straight to them.

I need to turn it away while they're still somewhat following our lead.

I subtly nudged the Randall and he jumped but not too noticeably thank goodness.

In the lowest voice possible with the least amount of mouth movement, I muttered, "Stay close."

He subtly nodded and I started in a slightly different direction.

Some of the walkers began to alter course but not enough.

I need to attract them somehow without drawing attention to us.

I can't use my gun, obviously; that's out of the question. I can't cut my finger with all this walker blood on me — can't risk it getting into the open wound. I've already got a head injury.

I can't run so it can't be anything involving movement, but it can't be too subtle. I need to turn a herd this size carefu— my fingers brushed against each other as I stepped down, snapping a twig with my boots.

Ohhh snicker-doodles, I hope this works.

I carefully brought my eyes up to subtly look around as I pressed the pads of my fingers together before a resounding snap echoed just loud enough a number of walkers turned my direction.

I pretended to turn as well, and started shuffling again, completely missing Randall's wildly panicked look at my plan.

Instead of turning around to see if they were following, I used my ears and subtle glances at my sides, walking at an even slower pace but it's still not enough.

Most of them are not interested enough to follow yet.

I glanced at Randall subtly, feeling the sweat collecting on my neck and the knot beginning to form in my gut as another riskier move came to mind.

If this doesn't work, it could get us both killed.

After everything he's been through, he doesn't deserve that.

I shuffled closer to him, almost bumping shoulders and as quiet as I can possibly manage while still having him hear me, "Don't speak."

"The highway isn't far from here. About a half mile in that direction." I subtly pointed, using my eyes mostly to indicate the direction.

"Head that way, keep the sun over your left shoulder."

His confusion is evident but I chose to ignore it.

"Why are you—"

"No questions." I gripped his elbow, starting to steer him that direction.

"Look for a car jam and a yellow vehicle with a white spray painted message on the windshield. It's possible there's even some supplies on the hood still. Go." I let go of him but not before pushing something into his hand.