Chapter 134

3rd Person POV

Daryl was up so fast you'd think he'd fallen on hot coals, backpedaling more than 3 feet and refused to look anywhere except the frostbitten white & green front lawn.

"Sorry," It came out gruff and strangled and he cleared his throat the second after it left his mouth. He hasn't been this stiff since Merle was still with them. Thank god it only sounded like someone's hand is wrapped around his throat and not a prepubescent teenager.

Eve's brain finally got a grip and she sat up, a little too fast. All the aches and stinging and shooting pains made a hostile takeover of her awareness and she hissed, sitting up with hand on her elbow.

You'd think she'd be used to this sort of pain by now. As stealthy as she is, her gracefulness has taken a dive ever since she had to start worrying about being eaten alive or being the one to do the eating if she gets so much as a scratch.

Eve cleared her throat this time. The crisp air stinging it straight after as she breathed in. "t's fine. It—it wasn't on purpose."

Stiff, awkward silence doesn't suit them but that's exactly what enveloped the two.

A single second felt like a lifetime and the tension built over several until Eve finally couldn't handle it anymore. The itch to run burned her legs and her stomach like a heating pad that's been turned up too high.

"We should — get inside."

"'ll be dark soon." Daryl agreed too quickly but can finally breathe again instead of trying to stand as still as humanly possible without even realizing he was doing it.

Neither thought too much about it before Daryl's stuck his hand out, out of habit, and Eve took it — also out of habit — to stand up before they all but speed walked inside.

Eve preoccupied herself almost the second she walked into the living room, trying not to think too much (hardest thing in the universe), and Daryl took the dark steps across from the front door two at a time. He didn't even think about what he's gonna do once he's up there, so long as it's by himself, it doesn't matter.

Eve tried to keep her hands busy but it isn't working.

This isn't something she ever thought she'd have to deal with.

'It's fine. Don't overthink it.' Eve didn't even know what she was doing, it was just a bunch of little tasks and busy work. 'It was just an accident. There's no reason to freak out. It's not like it had any meaning that I need to find. It doesn't change anything. Will it? God I hope not. I can't handle awkward — I don't do well with awkward.'

'I can't take this

'I can't take this.' Eve stood up and made a beeline for Glenn in the corner. Where he was crouched over a bag, digging through it.

She walked up behind him and grabbed his shoulder. He spun on his toes to look at her.