Chapter 26

"Are you still worrying about it?" Andrea asked as the group stopped to take a short rest.

Thank God. My ribs wanna strangle my lungs just for the need to breathe. Nevermind what I've been making them do.

"That was a gunshot..." Lori's worried eyes stared past me, back the way we came.

I leaned against the tree next to me, sliding down to give my needlessly sore muscles a break. What was meant to be a sigh, came out as a groan I hope no one noticed.

My muscles are trembling just sitting here but if I show too much pain, they'll make me go back to the highway; and no doubt at least someone will feel uneasy about my going alone, which just takes more manpower away from the search— if they don't decide to just call it.

"We all heard it" Daryl gave me a 'you good?' look. I nodded and took a moment to let the various degrees of pain subside and become background noise.

"Why one? Why just one gunshot?" Lori looked at him as if he'd know the answer.

Daryl shook his head, probably wracking his brain for an answer she'll accept. "Maybe they took down a walker"

"Please don't patronize me. You know Rick wouldn't risk a gunshot to put down one walker— or Shane. They'd do it quietly." Lori looked back to the woods.

She's got a point, actually. I swallowed hard and Glenn came over to me, crouching and slipping his backpack off.

"Shouldn't they have caught up with us by now?" Carol looked at Daryl expectantly.

"There's nothing we can do about it anyway. Can't run around these woods chasing echoes." Daryl looked around, shifting his crossbow in his hands.

Glenn pulled out a water bottle and unscrewed it, holding it out to me.

I took it with a grateful lip quirk and ignored the pinching in my arm for the relief the cool-ish water brought my throat.

I looked where my neck would let me; scanning the area with my laser vision, wishing I was like Superman. I could find Sophia in a heartbeat then, and I wouldn't have tweaked my neck or messed up my torso like— like some rookie dumbass.

"So what do we do?" Lori asked Daryl as I handed Glenn the bottle.

"Same as we been. Beat the bush for Sophia, work our way back to the highway." Daryl answered, glancing at me once again.

It's funny, when Rick and Shane's not around, everyone seems to look to Daryl for direction. Not that it's irrational, he is a hunter and we're in the middle of the woods. Evolutionarily speaking, he would be in charge with the leader and secondary pack leader absent.

"I'm sure they'll hook up with us back at the RV" Andrea reassured.

Glenn offered me a hand. I smiled and he helped me back to my feet. It was easier than the first time but it hurt more.

After all these centuries of modern-ish civilization, the tribal system still applies. To an extent. Guess it's just part of traveling in a pack.

Hmm, I wonder where would I be on that scale? Rick's the pack alpha— that's obvious, Shane is his right hand, Daryl is next—

Lori touched my shoulder and I flinched immediately cursing the involuntary action. She gave me an apologetic look and I waved it off after a second, when I was able.

We started moving again but we didn't get ten feet before Andrea walked over to a stationary Carol, keeping everyone from moving on. "I'm sorry for what you're going through. I know how you feel"