Chapter 144

Fat puffy flakes like cotton balls drifted from blankets of white. Like someone ripped open a duvet over the entire sky. Scattering the cotton like a broken pearl necklace.

My breath misted in front of me, the snow melting as soon as it landed on my crossed legs and sunk into my jeans a little at a time.

The snowflakes collecting on my eyelashes and in my hair.

I'm cold — can't feel my fingers — but I don't wanna go back inside just yet.

It's been ages since I've gotten to just stare at the sky.

"Hey."

I looked over my shoulder as Carl came and stood next to me.

"What are you doin' out here?" he looked around and I smiled and pointed up.

He looked up and I watched the confusion on his face as he tried to figure out what I'm looking at.

I pat the ground next to me and flinched back at how cold it is. It was not this wet when I sat down.

Despite that, Carl took my offer and sat down next to me.

I watched his shoes rub dirt off into the snow. His ratty old sneakers that look too small now. The soles are so thin I can almost see his feet moving through them.

"What?" Carl looked down at his foot, almost hitting me in the nose with his sheriff's hat.

I tapped his shoe with my finger and I was right, I can feel the bottom of his foot.

"You need new shoes."

Carl's foot wiggled around. "I'll put it on the list."

You know what.

I stood up and dusted my hands off on my wet jeans and offered him a hand. "Let's go."

His eyebrows knit together as he took my hand and stood up. "What?"

"There's a couple houses around here with boys rooms. Let's go find you a new pair of shoes. And maybe some other stuff."

"Wait — what about my dad?"

I rolled my eyes. "We'll be fiiiine. We're just goin' next door. We'll get Glenn and Randall to come too."

I turned on my heel and Carl followed after me into the house. "I don't wanna get in trouble."

I ruffled his hair and winked, giving him a reassuring smile. "Leave it to me."

	"Just around the neighborhood?" Rick asked for the 2nd time

I sighed and nodded. I've already explained that the kids (the youngest of our group; no matter if they are actually kids or not) all could use a few things that we can find in the houses around us. Plus it'll give us a chance to double check our surroundings and make sure we haven't missed anything. And give them all a little more experience which they could use.