Chapter 16

Jenner lead us to the big room from yesterday and turned on one of the computers.

"Give me playback of TS-19"

"Playback of TS-19" the disembodied Vi lit up a wall-sized screen in front, with what I assume is a video.

"Few people ever got a chance to see this. Very few" Jenner waited for the screen to finish loading everything.

"Is that a brain?" Carl asked as soon as the screen finished loading up the images.

"An extraordinary one" Jenner replied.

I'll say, that brains lit up like Temple Square on New Year's Eve.

"Not that it matters in the end..." Jenner trailed off, turning his attention back to the screen.

I studied the screen, skimming the text on the edges. I've always had a disturbingly steep learning curve; or so my high school teachers told me.

I'm not so sure their opinions can be trusted though. We didn't interact one-on-one much.

"Take us in for EIV" Jenner directed.

I pulled myself up onto one of the desks, so I could sit for awhile. If I don't, I might wind up on the floor. Again.

"Enhanced Internal view" Vi zoomed in on the brain, taking the camera angle to the side before zooming all the way in on the brain stem, down to the microscopic level where synapses were firing like bullets.

Damn, that's a beautiful brain.

"What're those lights?" Shane asked

Seriously? Did you not pass high school biology?

"It's a person's life" Jenner answered. Very philosophical, props man.

"Experiences, memories. It's everything. Somewhere in all that organic wiring, all those ripples of light...is you. The thing that makes you unique...and human." Jenner talks like a professor, lecturing. He's not a half bad public speaker, and I wouldn't mind so much any other day but my head's killing me.

"You don't make sense? Ever?" Daryl shifted next to me.

"Those are synapses." Jenner's tone was a little degrading. Classic for a "nerd" when talking to someone they think is beneath their intelligence.

"Electric impulses in the brain that carry all the messages. They determine everything a person says, does, or thinks. From the moment of birth...to the moment of death."

"Death?" Rick moved forward. "That's what this is. A vigil?"

"Yes" Jenner seems to only be half paying attention."Or ra— rather, the playback of the vigil"

What's going on with him? I don't think he drank as much as...some, of us.

"This person died?" Andrea stepped forward, eyes fixed on the screen. "Who?"

"Test subject 19" Jenner answered. I glanced sideways at him, something about the way he answered that, feels a little odd.

"Someone who was bitten, and infected...and volunteered to have us, record the process..."

Did he know this person?

"Vi, scan forward to the first event" Jenner instructed.

"Scanning to first event " Vi sped along until the screen changed and most of the brain stem was turning black. Little tingles of red running along the dark branches.

"What is that?" Glenn took the words right outta my head

"It invades the brain like meningitis" Jenner gestured at the screen.