Chapter 135

I hate this.

Glenn said figure out how I felt about it, but this is torture. And for no good reason — ok well, it might be good but that doesn't mean it should be torturous.

Why can't I just get a straight answer out of myself of all people.

A hand clapped on my shoulder and I already know it's Glenn, but I looked over anyway.

"You still thinking about it?" No, I hit my head really hard and now have temporary amnesia and am enjoying not remembering something I'm sure has only brought me headaches and suuuper awkward hunting trips the last 4 days.

I sighed, nodding and rubbed my fingers into my eyes. Maybe I'll go blind and this'll be easier.

What —? How would that make things easier?

"What?" Glenn looked at me funny, eyebrows furrowed. "Why are you looking at me like that?"

Like what? Was I making a face?

I shook it off and gave him a half-smile. We should just finish this run and get back.

I shoved the rest of the food cans from this house's basement into the plastic bin and looked over the shelves once more for the most nutritious stuff. There's too much here to take all at once — thank the gods — but that means they should take the best stuff first, just in case.

Glenn heaved his crate up, straining to carry it and I took a breath before doing the same. Heaving might not be the right word, this is far worse. The bin dug into my fingers like there's a magnet in the bottom and the floor is made of steel.

Getting up the creaky wooden stairs is even worse. Every time my foot makes it up another step, it feels like the box is getting heavier.

My bones of my arms felt like they were trying to pull apart but I couldn't help the laugh that bubbled up. Don't ask me why, it's just funny to me.

Glenn started laughing too, only 3 steps higher than me, struggling to keep his own box above his knees so he can actually take steps.

"I know I should probably start working out or something, but what's your excuse? You started doing all that strength training like every day. What gives?" he jerked his chin at me, smiling from ear to ear.

"Not great diet. Too much canned food."

Glenn burst out laughing, me along with him. He almost had to set his box down just to catch his breath.

It took us longer to get up the stairs than it probably should have but we made it; giggling like idiots, almost all the way to the top.

Glenn dropped his box as soon as it was high enough to clear the final step and panted, "Finally."

"Move your butt." I readjusted my slipping grip for the 8th time, tempted to lift my leg and actually kick him in the butt but if I do that, I will fall backwards and be crushed by this 3000 lbs box.

Glenn hurried out of the way and I shoved this box onto the ground same as he had.

Glenn glanced to his side and smiled all of a sudden. "Ey Daryl, why don't you come carry this and let Eve take guard duty, it's too heavy for her."

My jaw dropped, eyes bulging out of my skull.

'You slime.'

He dragged his own box back into the air with a cheeky grin, never-mind the red started to crop up in his face and neck from barely being able to carry his own box.