Chapter 142

"Be careful out there." Glenn stood at the wooden gate, ready to close it behind us.

I gave him a cheeky smile and held my fist out. When am I ever not careful?

He fist bumped me before I got my babies from their homes at my thighs and spun both in my hands, blade down parallel with my forearm and stepped out onto the sidewalk.

We already checked for the all clear before opening the gate but there's no harm in double checking.

The thin layer of snow on the ground crunched under my feet as I made my way to the nice, wide neighborhood street.

Being in this place has really given me a few ideas about better places to hole up than anywhere I thought of before.

Richer neighborhoods were not only less populated even before, but everything is bigger, spaced farther, comes with built-in gates and is almost guaranteed full of stuff we can use. At the very least it makes for comfortable relatively safe living for large groups of people. And there's almost always at least 1 car in the 2-car garages. Fueled up and ready to go. If only they weren't usually sports cars or really nice flashy vehicles.

Glenn & I almost passed out when we found the lambo in that house two streets over on our search for food.

It makes me wanna cry thinking about it sitting there for the rest of it's days.

I would have brought it back if I wasn't positive that Rick would gut it for spare parts. Just like the red camaro. Rest in peace, baby. Rest in peace.

"We should be back before dark." Rick spoke from behind me, presumably to Glenn.

I felt eyes on me and turned to look over my shoulder, nodding at Glenn as he closed the gate before I met Randall's eyes.

He looks nervous.

I put a finger to my lips briefly. Call it a preemptive strike at his tendency to talk when he gets jittery.

Daryl walked past me, jerking his head and I spun on my heel, following after him in the direction of the bridge.

I like the spaced out streets. Makes me feel less boxed in, less like I have to pay absolute attention to every foot of my surroundings and second-guess or be skeptical of whether or not I might miss something crucial.

I glanced up at the overcast sky, white and slightly grey indicating it'll probably snow again today but not until later.

The walk was quiet and for some reason somber. Though it does feel just a little bit like I'm walking through Lord of the Rings. Don't ask me why.

The grumbles and moans seem

The grumbles and moans seem... fainter than the last time Daryl & I came through here.

I walked up to the bridge, meeting Daryl's concerned eyes with my own. It put me on my toes if I wasn't already before. Hmm, I wonder where that expression came from.