Chapter 15

Jenner showed us down a hall where our rooms were, explaining things as we went.

"Most of the facility is powered down, including housing. So you'll have to make do here." Jenner flipped on the lights as we followed down the hallway.

"The couches are comfortable, but there are cots in storage if you like."

I looked through a doorway as we passed the room. It was simple but it almost looked like an office with a personal bathroom. It probably was, actually.

"There's a rec-room down the hall that you kids might enjoy. Just— don't plug in the video games, or anything that draws power." Jenner leaned down to their level, bracing his hands on his knees.

"Same applies." Jenner straightened, pointing at the rest of us behind the kids.

"If you shower go easy on the hot water." Jenner disappeared around the corner at the end of the hall and Glenn turned -almost like a serial killer.

"Hot water?" Glenn I pray to god you never do that again, or you may wind up being the victim of a headshot.

"That's what the man said." T-Dog smiled toothily.

Dear lord that is terrifying.

I am either much drunker than I realize, or they have a side to them I hope to never be on the receiving end of again.

I slipped into the room I'd seen, and dropped my stuff on the ground before laying on the floor; claiming it as mine.

It has truly been a rough few days.

After staring at the ceiling for...I am honestly not sure how long, I pulled myself up with more difficulty than I care to admit, and dragged myself to the promised shower.

Actually getting in the shower was a bit hazy, but somehow I wound up standing(?) in the hot water, and I couldn't think about anything else.

I never thought heated water could feel this amazing. Who knew, you could miss a warm shower so much.

I can't believe this time last year I was eating pizza in New York. God, I miss pizza...and ice cream— nachos, soft pretzels, bacon, strawberries. Damn, I think I've got the munchies.

That doesn't usually happen when I drink though...It happened that...one time, after I accidentally agreed to take something from that one kid at the fourth house.

The buck teeth...weird hair, and green shirt. Sam something.

I got out of the shower, threw on the clothes I sleep in —some of my more comfortable— and wandered out of my room. I've regained my balance enough to walk semi-straight.

At least I think I'm walkin' straight.

I wandered down the hall and waved drunkenly at Carol and the kids as they passed. They smiled back, not even trying to hide their giggles and I mock scowled at them, making the laughs more intense as they passed by and waved goodnight.

A few more steps and I was forced to stop by a wave of dizziness. Leaning against the wall for support, I took a moment to breathe deep.

Absent-mindedly dismissing what sounded like a raised voice, I began walking again but the second time, my curiosity was successfully captured.

A few seconds later it stopped and the door to my left slammed open.

Shane stormed out, completely passing by my presence like I wasn't even here. For a second I panicked that I might be a ghost before I hit my elbow on the wall and the zing confirmed I'm not.