Chapter 80

Wow, chapters have been getting so long lately. I hope that's not a problem lol

~~~

Daryl's POV

The shack ain't exactly soundproof, so I listened to Eve try her way through the wall, after she kicked me out.

It took a bit before I was able to come back 'ere and just lean against the wall without wantin' to throw the door open. But I'm glad I didn't when I wanted to.

I've no idea what the Hell that woman did to the kid but since I been listenin, he hasn't shut up.

Keeps running his mouth and she's just lettin 'im.

The boy will be goin' on about something and then he'll just snap back to what he was saying like he'd been threatened.

I haven't heard a sound from Eve this whole time though. I wonder what she's doing to set the kid back on track...

After about ten minutes of him rambling on about some stupid dog, I was startin' to lose my patience.

Only thing that's stopped me from going back in is the fact he's still talkin' and whatever she's done, she's gettin' a lot more outta 'im than I was.

It's hard to guess how she did it. Knowing her, she could have anything up 'er sleeve.

I don't understand why she's been so nice to the kid all this time. Sneaking him that water the other night.

He and his buddies tried to kill 'er, and the others. I wouldn't have saved the kid in the first place. I'd a left him where they found 'im but not her.

Kid's lucky it was her & Rick that went to drag that old man's ass back 'ere. Anybody else had gone and there's no way they'd have brought this doofus back.

Sometimes I think I got her figured out, then she does shit like this and it's like bein' stranded in the desert and all of a sudden it starts rainin'.

I don't care what happens to this kid, to be honest. I don't got no opinion whether he lives or dies.

Way things are goin' right now, this group ain't gonna last much longer.

"For the pain" Eve's muffled voice caught my ear and I turned, listening for anything else but all I heard was crinkling then the door opened and Eve stepped out.

-

Eve's POV

Daryl and I followed the dirt path back towards the camp, where the whole group is waiting to find out what we've learned, and I explained what I'd learned on the lengthy walk up.

When we reached the group, Rick jerked his chin towards us and all eyes turned our way.

"Boy there's got a gang. 30 men. Got heavy artillery and they ain't lookin' to make friends. They roll through here, our boys are dead. And our women they're gonna— they're gonna wish they were." Daryl's paraphrasing deserves an award. It really does, but it made me shift and I only noticed I was rolling my shoulder because Daryl looked at me.

A grim atmosphere descended over the group; the somewhat gloomy overcast morning seeming even heavier than before.

"What did you do?" Carol's voice filled with an unexpected note of curiosity, as she looked between both of us; mostly Daryl's bloody knuckles.

Daryl glanced at his hand holding the strap of his crossbow at his shoulder and dropped it to his side, a bit uncomfortable as he moved towards the edge of the group taking up a spot in the somewhat circle that's been formed by the waiting party. "Had a little chat."