Chapter 94

The flashlight clicked off and in a heartbeat both of them ran with light careful steps behind two trees, away from those drag marks.

Randall set the woman back down against a different tree. Unable to drag her any farther away.

He has to get farther away from that guy — and from where they fought. If that dude finds either of them they're both dead.

He almost screamed the second he moved around the other side of the tree. It's not every day you almost end up with a cleaved machete and a bolt to the head.

"Whoa whoa whoa— I ain't dead!" Randall barely got the words out before Daryl slammed him up against a tree.

The hunter's blood boiled. A vice-like grip wrapping around Randall's throat accompanying a dark almost in-human growl.

"You got about 3 seconds to tell me where she is before I rip yer eyes out and show ya what yer own throat looks like."

"Right there! Jesus— She's right there! Right there!" Randall frantically pointed to the bush, coughing out his words with the increasing pressure on his throat.

Glenn all but ran around around the tree and immediately dropped to his knees. "Eve!"

"She's hurt real bad." Randall coughed, trying to tap out on the scary dude's wrist but the exact opposite happened.

"What did you do to her!?" Daryl pressed harder on Randall's throat.

"Eve!" Glenn shook her almost timidly but with a sense of urgency. "Eve, can you hear me?"

"What do I do? I don't know what to do." Glenn wracked his brain for things Eve would do, what Hershel might say or do, even what Rick or Daryl might do — despite one of the two being right next to him dealing with the escapee.

"I was keepin' her safe—!" Randall coughed clawing at Daryl's arm as the tree bark dug further into his back. "I thought you were that guy comin' back for 'er! — For us!"

Daryl's eyes narrowed dangerously. "What guy?"

"I don't know — that dude who was with that other guy first time y'all was gonna let me go. The bald one—"

Randall barely got a chance to answer before Glenn frantically stage-whispered, "Daryl, she doesn't look so good. We gotta get her to Hershel."

Daryl leaned closer to Randall. A deep growl rumbling low, "You best be tellin' the truth. And you better pray she's okay."

Daryl let Randall go and the kid coughed, grasping his throat and almost fell down, while the hunter moved to Glenn.

The first thing that caught his sight was the glint on her forehead. The thick red ooze that caused a spark of iron in his mouth, traced back to a cloth tied around her head, soaked in red.

Daryl carefully peeled up the edge of it and mirrored Glenn's grimace beside him at the large cut splitting her forehead.

Glenn looked away as he put the makeshift bandage back in place. His eyes caught on the walker on the ground, and at Randall peeking around the tree at them but not daring to move closer but rather than looking at him, Glenn's gaze stopped on the steel clutched in his palm.

Eyebrows furrowing, he looked back and forth between Randall and the body. "Did you— were you the one who took down that walker?"

Randall glanced at it, nodding with a muttered "Yeah" but couldn't find it in himself to be proud or cocky like he normally would.