Chapter 93

Crickets chirped in the blackened forest, the darkness consuming everything except the tree Randall sat next to, and the woman he's trying to keep alive.

He may not be above begging for his life, but he's not a coward. He decided to do this, he ain't gonna back out now. It's not like he can anyway.

Even if he'd changed his mind about helping her and waiting for her people, he can't leave now.

The temperature hasn't dropped much more since the sun went down and the wind has stopped but while as comforting to his chills as that might be, it makes the forest deathly quiet and is damaging his calm by the minute.

Before the only thing he could hear was rustling leaves and the little sounds nature makes every day. But now, the only thing he can hear is his own blood in his ears, and sometimes her breathing.

-

Daryl looked for absolutely any sign something bigger than a squirrel has been through here as he walked through the forest with Glenn.

Moonlight streams through the trees, adding to the grey coating the forest but it doesn't provide much in the way of seeing. Just prevents their eyes from totally adjusting to the harsh dark shadows it's casting from the trees.

Fog rolled in with the fall of the sun, looking more like spooky dust than anything but has limited their field vision even further. Even if it isn't too thick, they can barely see 50 feet in front of 'em.

A frustrated sigh growled past Daryl's throat, and if Glenn wasn't standing right next to him, he easily could've mistaken the sound for a walker.

"This is pointless." He should've grabbed Eve's night vision goggles before they left. "Give me that light." Daryl reached his hand out.

Glenn handed over the flashlight in his grip and Daryl looked around again, confirming that it isn't his eyes, or the dark, there really are no tracks.

Another groan of frustration, 'To Hell with this' Daryl turned back. They don't have time for this. They've gotta find Eve.

-

It got dark faster than Randall thought, and it's freezing. How his breath isn't misting in front of him, he'll never know.

What if they're stuck out here all night?

He thought for sure they wouldn't leave her. But... he can't help but start to wonder if, maybe he was wrong.

He doesn't know why she was out here in the first place, but that other dude looked pretty surprised to see her.

Maybe she went somewhere and wasn't supposed to be back so soon. But that means... if she wasn't supposed to be back this soon, oh no.

No one's looking.

Randall stopped breathing. Lips parting with eyes blowing so wide they stung in the chilled air.

Can he survive an entire night out here on his own? No fire, no food, no sleeping bag, blanket, or even a spare jacket, and looking after her — can she make it through the night?

What if the temperature keeps dropping? What if more roamers roll through? He could barely handle one, on his own.

He can't run, he can't drag her, she's still unconscious — what if...

Randall's eyes slowly turned to her, anxiety calmed only the slightest bit by the fact she's still breathing and has steadily been doing so this whole time.