Chapter 136

3rd Person POV

Eve gasped and Daryl jumped, almost dropping the box on his foot, before she bolted off like she'd just remember she left the stove on, without so much as a glance in his direction.

He stared after, pure confusion etched all over his face and only spared a glance around just to see if anyone else had seen. Rick, Hershel, and T-Dog in the living room did in fact see it, but nothing except confusion was shared between the 4.

Her boots knocked on the hardwood under Eve's boots as she ran around the house like a jackrabbit being chased by a fox, looking for one short-brown-haired girl who knows all about kissing and everything Eve doesn't, like it's her only mission in life.

She checked all 4 of the upstairs rooms — including the bathroom, then raced downstairs and started checking every other room with much less tactics than normal and as she was running right past the in-home office caught a glimpse of the girl.

Slamming on the brakes, Eve slid almost half a meter and almost tripped before spinning on her toes — felt like a ballerina for a second — and ran back, both hands slamming on the sides of the door as she shouted, "Maggie!"

"UaAh!" Maggie screamed, jumping so hard she dropped the books in her hands, a rain of hard backs dropping like boulders onto her feet as she slammed her back into the floor-to-ceiling bookcases, hand on her heart and face like she just gave up the ghost.

"Oh my god," Maggie breathed, panting like she's gonna cry.

Footsteps thundered through the house like a storm and in half a second flat half the house surrounded them with various weapons. Including a frying pan, a lamp, several guns and knives, and a tennis racket?

Eve stared at the racket trying to figure out where it came from while Glenn moved past her into the room — stepping out of his way — to his girlfriend.

"Are you ok — are you hurt — what happened?" Glenn grabbed her hands, checking her over like a mother duck.

Eve bit her lips, turning to look out the window as unassuming as possible.

"T's alright, I'm fine. She just snuck up on me."

Eve immediately felt eyes on her back but she refused to look.

She got some looks but thankfully everyone dispersed back to whatever it was they were doing before, and was left with only one questioning gaze to answer.

And Maggie's burning eyes only had one thing to say. 'You better have a good reason for this.'

Eve sighed and motioned to the dusty leather arm chairs in the center of the room before going to the door and closing it.

Confused and concerned, Maggie took the unspoken invitation and took up a seat next to the one Eve dumped herself into, and watched the 30 year old woman pull her shoes off and fold her legs up like a little kid about to tell a secret.

Maggie set aside her amusement of Eve's — unsurprising — childish conduct and leaned on the chair arm, giving her full attention to the silent killer.

Maggie waited for her to say something but after what felt like ten minutes of silence, she sighed. Eve isn't a talker — except for when people are being 5 year olds and there are lives at stake — but it looks like Maggie's gonna have to start this conversation even though she was the one called.

"Are you ok?"

Eve opened her mouth but ended up just shaking her head. Trying very hard not to associate this scene with a therapist session. The leather chairs and the way Maggie's sitting, and the whole studious vibe of the room, despite the layers of dust on everything, is making it very difficult.