Chapter 57

Rick stared at me in a way I can only describe as stumped by a puzzle.

"You know for someone who doesn't talk much, you sure know your way around words. Remind me never to argue with you. I'd never win."

I raised an eyebrow.

He chuckled, shaking his head, and pat my shoulder as he moved around me towards the house.

So wait, did I just...win? —That feels like the wrong word— but... he said— I'm confusing myself.

I stared after him until he went into the house, out of sight.

He said to remind him never to argue with me, he would never win.

So does that mean I got through to him, or is he just deferring to what I said because he doesn't have an answer for himself?

I offset my jaw, running my tongue over my molars. My eyebrows knit together in something akin to frustration but probably looks more like pouting.

I scratched my head, and shoved my hands into my pockets. Starting towards the RV; still confused, and probably will be for a while.

I can't tell if I'm missing something, if he deliberately withheld, or it's actually straightforward and I'm just having a brain malfunction.

When I reached the RV door, I swung it open and Daryl glanced over his shoulder, from his place on the counter inside.

Carol shifted in her seat at the table directly across from the door, but didn't look.

I stepped in, closing the door behind me and watched her for a moment.

I'm not good at this. I don't know if she needs a hug, if I shouldn't touch her, if I should just go away and leave her be, leave her be but stay here like Daryl.

Everybody's different when it comes to loss— and what they need is not always what they want.

I'd know if it were Daryl, he'd want space and I would give him that but I wouldn't leave him alone. Even if he didn't know he wasn't alone(preferable).

But I've spent a lot of time with Daryl, it's not difficult to predict how he'll react, most of the time. Carol, though?

I don't know Carol well enough to know what she needs. I knew before she didn't need to be alone, but that much was obvious. Right now I can't tell what she needs.

I don't know if she wants us to leave, but needs us to stay. If fewer people here would be better than more; in which case I would leave it to Daryl, seeing as he's been here longer already.

Daryl tapped my arm, and motioned to the counter next to him.

I think I was staring at him, oops.

Moving around his knees, I folded my arms as I leaned against the counter on his left.

I trust Daryl's judgement more than mine when it comes to Carol. He seems to understand her better than the rest of us(me at least). Though I'm not sure how or when that happened— and I'm positive he doesn't either. If he's even aware he knows her so well.

I know enough to say her behavior conflicts with what she thinks. She thinks one thing but does another, and I know why.

Anyone who's spent even 1 day in a similar situation, or the system, would know.

A lot of the kids you see carr— carried, the signs.

Skittish, quiet. Look like they wanna speak but won't.