Chapter 32

My hands started to shake. My heartbeat proving it could go faster yet.

My mouth shrivelled of moisture like the Bonneville salt flats.

My throat closed up but it had nothing to do with the murky water surrounding me.

Dread swelled in my chest and spread like wildfire until it physically hurt and I couldn't breathe.

Needles pierced the lining of my lungs with every breath.

My head spun and I swayed.

I can't— I'm about pass out.

Instead of calming down, like I should have, I started to panic like an animal caught in a net.

I violently pulled myself in every direction that could possibly lead to freedom from the tangling stringy roots, with the newfound wiggle room I'd created.

My skin crawled, overwhelming my brain with sensations of hands, and tiny spiny legs.

Forcing myself free of roots, I sank in an instant. The water rose to my jaw. My feet touched the bottom and I stood on my toes, forcing myself to stop thrashing and let the water settle.

The water stopped just short of my bottom lip. Everywhere I looked increased the urge to violently struggle again.

Thinking fast, I grabbed my locket and brought it up above the water, where I could see it clearly and meticulously began inspecting the small patterns in the metal.

Breathe. Just breathe. Don't think, breathe.

Uh—...oh, that concert I saw for my birthday.

What band was playing? The Script, wasn't it?

The words, remember the words...

She's stronger than you know♫

A heart of steel starts to grow♫

I swallowed thickly, attempting to force myself to relax, even if it's futile. I quietly began to hum the tune as I remember it.

When you've been fighting for it all your life♫

You've been struggling to make things right♫

It's how a superhero learns to fly♫

My shoulders relaxed but didn't stop shaking.

Everyday, every hour turn the pain into power♫

I have no idea how much time I spent humming the same verse over and over, but my fingers were wrinkling before I wasn't on the cusp of a panic attack.

I sucked in a deep breath and ducked underneath the water. Going to the bottom, I used some of the roots to anchor myself and swift but carefully I dragged my hand along the bottom; searching for my knife.

I could feel my focus slipping back to panic the longer I held my breath and as soon as I grabbed something that didn't feel natural, I resurfaced.

I chaotically emerged from the water, gasping and grabbing onto another root to raise myself out as much as possible.

Wiping my eyes with my dripping hand, I splashed the object in the water, removing enough of the mud to recognize it.

I felt calmer already, just having the familiar blade in my hand feels like I can think clearly again.

I swished it off completely in the settling water until it was clean(enough) before securing it in my thigh sheath. Where it belongs.

Okay. I've got this. It's gonna be alright. I'm safe enough for now. I just, just need to get out of here.