Chapter 64

Out of instinct, my hands shot out to absorb as much impact as possible but the moment my palms made contact, my right shoulder seared with pain and it buckled.

My stomach hit the ground with the full force of my bodyweight, the air escaping my lungs like a popped balloon.

I had a rush of deja vu, feeling the repercussions from my tumble from the tree whiplash back to the surface.

I couldn't breathe for the longest minute of my life; feeling my ribs burning with ache, like they had then.

Another shot ring out and my immediate instinct was to freeze. To stay as still as possible, even though my entire torso wants me to curl in on myself and craddle my ribcage on the ground of a dirty alleyway like a child.

I can't get to cover like this before I get shot again, this time fatally.

My eyes locked with Glenn's behind the dumpster and before he could move I curled all but one of my fingers on the ground next to my head.

Hissing, "Stay." as subtle as I could manage.

He bit his lips, swallowing with a tense nod. He looks like he wants nothing more than to jump out and grab me, but that will get him killed.

My gun is still in hand, if they come investigate their "kill" I can pop 'em before they notice. If they think one or both of us are dead, it'll be easier to catch them off guard.

The blood is thrumming in my ears, and the pain is making it difficult to concentrate around my breathing, but I can hear moaning. It doesn't sound like walker moans, but I can't tell who it is; please for the love of polka dot sprinkles, don't be Hershel. If both of us got hit, we're in serious trouble.

I heard the door creak, and my grip tightened on my piece. My core muscles tightened, getting ready to fling myself over at a moment's notice. The pain intensified around the muscles but the adrenaline flooding my system pushed it to the background just enough.

"You hit?" Rick's voice, made me flinch and I almost went through with my plan to shoot whoever came to investigate.

My jolt made my shoulder sear, bringing it back to the foreground of my attention.

Finally nodding in response. I ground my teeth as I peeked over my shoulder, watching the deputy move along the wall; two guns aimed in both directions.

I'm glad he grabbed Tony's shotgun, but firing that beast with one hand is gonna send it kicking back into your skull. Knocking yourself out is the last thing we need right now.

"Are you hit?" Rick came closer, trying to see behind the dumpster where Glenn is sitting.

"No. No." Glenn shook his head, eyes fixed on me but not my face.

I followed his line of sight to the blood on the blood pooling on the ground underneath my shoulder.

Rick crouched beside me, and I felt his hands on my sides, helping as I forced myself to my knees.

Rick pulled me towards the dumpster but I could only crawl on one arm, my gun clacking against the pavement as we took cover.

I sat next to Glenn, dropping the deadly weight in my lap; focusing more effort on my breathing than anything else.

I pulled my shoulder in front of me, trying to look through my torn jacket to find out how bad it was. Even in the dark I can see it. I don't know if that should worry me more or not but for now, I don't care.

Blood pulsed from the centimeter deep impacted gash in the outer side of my shoulder. The flesh splayed outwards from the path of the bullet, a dark red. Some of it almost black.