Chapter 49

"Hey"

I blinked my eyes open and stared up at Glenn standing over me.

"I thought I saw you over here. Can I sit?"

I nodded, narrowing my eyes slightly. He's never asked before— he shouldn't even feel the need to. What's going on?

He planted himself next to me and I sat up, giving the most prompting look I could muster.

He avoided my gaze before sighing, running a hand over his face.

"What would you do if you knew something —that someone else doesn't want anyone to know— but another someone wants everyone to know? And this is something you know everyone should know— but you don't wanna betray the person who doesn't want everyone to know."

Wow. That wasn't convoluted at all.

If I had to guess the expression I'm making, it's nothing short of unreadable.

But to answer that, question...? It would entirely depend on what this something is.

If it's personal and not my decision to make, I wouldn't get involved. If it's gonna start drama, I wouldn't say anything. If it was confided in me, I wouldn't intervene unless I had to. If it's not my place to say anything, I wouldn't.

However, if it's harmful to themselves, another person, or to me, there's a solid chance I would take action. If someone's life was at stake because of this secret, I couldn't just sit by.

I might not say anything about it, but I would definitely do something— not without thinking it through.

But I get the feeling there's more to this than that.

If it were a simple decision between keeping a secret and blabbing, I don't think he'd have need of my consultation. So what could be tearing him up enough he needs help?

I blinked, shifted, licked my lips, and peered at him until he grew uncomfortable enough to cut the bullshit.

You're so easy to read, Ace. You should've known I wouldn't buy that earful.

A sighed groan rushed from Glenn's mouth as he tucked his head between his knees and laced his fingers behind his noggin; Not even caring his cap was about to take a dive for the grass.

"I don't know what to do."

Gasp, if I'd had a million guesses, I never would'a gotten that.

He looks like he's depressed. Oh Hell no, that's not gonna fly.

Both of us cannot be feeling like underwater wind chimes. Not today. You're supposed to be the optimistic skittle-spitter here.

I whacked his knee with mine and slung my arm across his shoulders, attempting to lighten the mood, if only a little.

Taking a sharp breath, Glenn locked eyes with me.

"Don— Don't freak out and don't tell anybody —not that you would do either— but, uh..."

He swallowed, adjusting his cap nervously.

"Out with it, Ace. What's eating you?"

"Lori's pregnant, and the barn's full of walkers."

......

I glanced between the barn, and over my shoulder to the camp at our backs where everyone was by the fire, presumably having dinner.

I turned back to the barn, and looked at Glenn.

"...Oh fu—

 ~