Chapter 116

"T-Dog, Randall, siphon all the gas you can from these cars." Rick motioned at the all of 3 commuter cars in the tiny parking lot.

Then he turned to us by the door. "Glenn, Daryl, Eve, Maggie, you three clear that store for anything we could use. Food, and weapons take priority."

The four of us nodded — almost in sync — Glenn giving a muted "Got it" before moving.

"Same as before." Daryl glanced at the 3 of us, raising his crossbow once again.

We lined up on either side of the door again, only this time, Daryl's grabbing the handle and Glenn & Maggie are going in first.

Thankfully the whole front wall of the store is glass — and covered in ads — so we can see directly inside without much obstruction.

However, as nice as that is, I'm already counting 3 walkers and a massive smear of blood on the ground.

Seems like this shopping center isn't — or wasn't — as deserted as we thought.

Glenn and I looked at each other simultaneously; him giving me the same look I'm giving him.

So we've both noticed, and he's probably thinkin' the same thing I am.

We've done this a lot more times than the rest of the group when it was just the two of us — I'd even go so far as to call ourselves experts in this arena — and we both know that if there are that many walkers inside this tiny place, and a big smear of blood on the floor but no body, that's a good sign someone or something got trapped inside here and couldn't get out in time.

Which means it's likely there are more walkers inside than just the three we can see.

Daryl and Maggie must've picked up on our mental strategy-meeting because Daryl nudged me with his elbow just as Maggie whispered, "What is it?"

I licked my lips as Glenn glanced over his shoulder at her and back at me before he answered, "Nothing it's just... there's probably more than just 3 walkers in there."

"What? How do ya know?" Maggie glanced between me & her boyfriend, as Daryl glanced at me for confirmation — which I gave with a nod — before he looked back through the door. I can see the gears in his head turning even from behind him; trying to figure out what we're seeing that he's not.

I set my hand on his shoulder and leaned around him, pointing and watched him follow my finger.

It wasn't difficult to see the exact moment it clicked. He shifted, jaw tightening for a second and it's almost like watching him shift gears from 'figure it out' to 'how to get it done'.

After a minute, and Glenn muttering lowly to answer Maggie and fill her in, Daryl looked at the four of us, and looked around me to glance at the others around the parking lot.

Now it's my turn to go 'figure out' mode as I copied him.

T and Randall are still by the cars, most of the others lugging things into the bookstore next door, some keeping watch, and someone actually in the back of the truck digging something out, I presume.

Rick's talking to Hershel by the cars; having one of those private 'advisory' conversations that everyone seems to have with the oldest member of the group (whoever that may be).

Before, it was Dale. Now it seems that mantle's fallen to Hershel. It's always the village elder, heheh.

You can know a lot, but knowledge alone can't beat real experience. Especially when it comes to life situations, as we've figured out. The more experienced you are, the better your chances, but combining experience is a whole other birthday cake.